Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to make your exhaust echo at idle? Mostly for V8's, but other engines too.

Skrrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series sv6
G'day all,

I've been trying to figure out the reason behind the beautiful, echoey, metallic tone that some V8's have on idle. Even some cammed V6's have this attractive tone.
Some examples:

https://youtu.be/0khk2hkQw2Y?t=54 - Cammed V6 Mustang w/Longtubes
Couldn't find a better example just now, but note the echo in comparison to this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTjdJiT3tho - Cammed V6 Firebird with true duals.

More echo:
https://youtu.be/tf9H-BeGnLs - Cammed Ford Explorer 4.0L - Idle and Light Acceleration
https://youtu.be/2wsDRVY1bNI - 69 Camaro SS 396 Big Block Lunati Cam idle (Yes! This is some good echo.)
https://youtu.be/HzKeCjfK-qQ - 1983 Chevy Camaro cammed 350 idle (Extreme echo at 0:10 mark.)

I hope it's clear what I am talking about here.
Any fellas with exhausts like this on the forums care to share what the exact setup is?

Or does anyone straight up know how to achieve this sound? I can't find much on the internet apart from 'Exhaust for Toyota Echo' results.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I just looked at the 396 Camaro and that is probably like 10.5:1 comp or higher which is a start.

The exhaust does have a unique sound which is the unique sound of a flowmaster muffler.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
what the exact setup is?

Or does anyone straight up know how to achieve this sound?

The term you're looking for is lumpy idle.

And it's pretty clear that every car you've linked is cammed. Nothing like that you can achieve with just an exhaust, or at least it will sound nothing like that with a stock engine. Some of the characteristic also comes from the firing order and alot probably comes from the cam's exhaust duration.

Classic V8 exhaust for stuff like that has always been glass pack mufflers though, the yanks love em.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

And it's pretty clear that every car you've linked is cammed. Nothing like that you can achieve with just an exhaust, or at least it will sound nothing like that with a stock engine. Some of the characteristic also comes from the firing order and alot probably comes from the cam's exhaust duration.

Classic V8 exhaust for stuff like that has always been glass pack mufflers though, the yanks love em.

I agree, but I think OP is talking about areo chamber mufflers.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The exhaust does have a unique sound which is the unique sound of a flowmaster muffler.

[/URL]

This, I've got a flowmaster delta 40 on my 304 and it's got that echoey noise, I love it sounds very old school.

Flowmasters are pretty much the most popular muffler for muscle cars in the US hence why you'll hear that noise a lot, those mufflers are nowhere near as common here at exhaust shops/distributors but you can order them from most speed shops online.

Skrrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series sv6
This, I've got a flowmaster delta 40 on my 304 and it's got that echoey noise, I love it sounds very old school.

Flowmasters are pretty much the most popular muffler for muscle cars in the US hence why you'll hear that noise a lot, those mufflers are nowhere near as common here at exhaust shops/distributors but you can order them from most speed shops online.

Cool! So Flowmasters seem to be the way.
I'm curious as to the placement of your Flowmaster Delta 40, is it placed close or far from the headers?
Give me the exact set-up of your exhaust. Headers, cats, H-pipe/X-pipe, resonators, placement of mufflers/resonators, yadda-yadda... I'm not trying to copy you lol but I am eager to know!

Skrrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series sv6

The cams are the easy bit of which there is a wealth of information for. But the actual exhaust setup to pair with the cams is what I just can't find.
I will look into glasspacks now. Though I know that classic sound, I wouldn't have guessed a glasspack would cause an echo by itself.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Cool! So Flowmasters seem to be the way.
I'm curious as to the placement of your Flowmaster Delta 40, is it placed close or far from the headers?
Give me the exact set-up of your exhaust. Headers, cats, H-pipe/X-pipe, resonators, placement of mufflers/resonators, yadda-yadda... I'm not trying to copy you lol but I am eager to know!

It's Pacemaker tri-y's, 100 cell metallic cat, single 2.5" pipe, the 40 series is mounted in the same place as the factory mufler was, then I've got a 4" round resi at the back just to take the drone out on the highway but thats completely optional.

41tMuLST7CL._AC_.jpg
round_280a95f8-94f4-4b60-a31c-98222be6b25f_300x300.jpg

It will sound twice as good with that setup in a true twin system with a H pipe instead of an X pipe (I've done a few of these on HQ-HZ's)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The cams are the easy bit of which there is a wealth of information for. But the actual exhaust setup to pair with the cams is what I just can't find.
I will look into glasspacks now. Though I know that classic sound, I wouldn't have guessed a glasspack would cause an echo by itself.

It's not glass pack dude. It's areo chamber.

Skrrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series sv6
It's Pacemaker tri-y's, 100 cell metallic cat, single 2.5" pipe, the 40 series is mounted in the same place as the factory mufler was, then I've got a 4" round resi at the back just to take the drone out on the highway but thats completely optional.

41tMuLST7CL._AC_.jpg
round_280a95f8-94f4-4b60-a31c-98222be6b25f_300x300.jpg

It will sound twice as good with that setup in a true twin system with a H pipe instead of an X pipe (I've done a few of these on HQ-HZ's)

Mate you are a legend. A straightforward answer.
Looks like you put me on the right path, thanks a bunch!

https://youtu.be/M-9i8j6IcQE?t=211 - 1970 Mach 1 Mustang with Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Muffler

A good, chambered muffler.