Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] How to make your own Fuel injection cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

monaromadness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Hi,

Bought some Liqui Moly fuel injection cleaner for my VX Ecotec V6, today & its expensive stuff. I have only ever used the Nulon one before but I have found that it does generally seem to work in that when I put it in the fuel I definitely get better fuel economy. I've done it many times before, works every time but it doesn't last so it actually works out more expensive.
Thought I'd try Liqui Moly to see if its any better than the Nulon one, its about twice the price.

The thought occurred to me that you might be able to make your own, the can says it contains Naphthalene petroleum & Naptha.
Someone told me that that is whats in Shellite & mothballs, is that true.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS IN THIS STUFF? can you make it yourself?
Will using this stuff in a Ecotec V6 damage the motor?

Appreciate any comments

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
From the msds for liqimoli injector cleaner
And from the fuel system cleaner and conditioner
Screenshot_20190728-230244.png
Screenshot_20190728-230318.png

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A soufflé has just three ingredients, butter, eggs and cream of tartar but it’s hard to make well. Simply mixing these three ingredients will not yield what you hope unless you have a detailed recipe and actually know how to cook well.

If someone has a detailed list of ingredients and a recipe to make quality injector cleaner, which a MSDS can never be as that is not it’s purpose, the little you think you may save could cost you 100 times more in engine repairs.

It’s usually much much simpler to just buy a few bottles of injector cleaner when it’s on sale at an auto store.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
You can often buy these in trade size and they work out resonably cheap, but there is the upfront cost. Then you need to dispense them into usable sized bottles that fit in your fuel filler. I just wait till normal sized retail bottles, are 50% or more off and buy multiple units.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Get a degree in petrochemical engineering...

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I’ve never bothered with all the injection cars I’ve had since the ‘80s.
I’ve given them a couple of tanks of 98 octane fuel once or twice a year and all seems good.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
it doesn't last so it actually works out more expensive.

How often are you using a bottle? It's not something you need to use constantly, it's like a service item.

Outside of that just run a few tanks of 98 through.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The other thing for the OP to consider when using injector cleaner is that some manufacturer’s, Valvoline being the last I bought, state not to use more than 5 does between oil changes :eek: Presumably this is because the chemicals used by Valvoline are introduced into the sump via blow by gasses and may kill the protective properties of your oil, so you have ben warned o_O

The thing is, if you need to often dose with injector cleaner just to get good fuel consumption, the issue may be poor quality fuel rather than clogged injectors. Poor quality fuel is best addressed by changing your supplier of even better still by using 98 premium (as it’s more tightly regulated than the 91 which can contain all sorts of rubbish additives from what the regulators told me over the phone some time back).

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Hi,

Bought some Liqui Moly fuel injection cleaner for my VX Ecotec V6, today & its expensive stuff. I have only ever used the Nulon one before but I have found that it does generally seem to work in that when I put it in the fuel I definitely get better fuel economy. I've done it many times before, works every time but it doesn't last so it actually works out more expensive.
Thought I'd try Liqui Moly to see if its any better than the Nulon one, its about twice the price.

The thought occurred to me that you might be able to make your own, the can says it contains Naphthalene petroleum & Naptha.
Someone told me that that is whats in Shellite & mothballs, is that true.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS IN THIS STUFF? can you make it yourself?
Will using this stuff in a Ecotec V6 damage the motor?

Appreciate any comments

Shellite is not a bad guess and a worthy ingredient. What does it smell like? If it smells like you know what then it probably is.

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Get a degree in petrochemical engineering...

It is easier to just look up the CAS number. The first ingredient is the give away. The rest are just fractions from the cut of xylene.

Status
Not open for further replies.