Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] How to make your own Fuel injection cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
How often are you using a bottle? It's not something you need to use constantly, it's like a service item.

Outside of that just run a few tanks of 98 through.

Apparently 98 is 91 with a splash of additives in it...

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Some people say they do not believe in additives but they run 98.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
If someone has a detailed list of ingredients and a recipe to make quality injector cleaner, which a MSDS can never be as that is not it’s purpose, the little you think you may save could cost you 100 times more in engine repairs.

I seriously doubt a cup of kerosene in a 60 or 80 litre tank full of petrol is going to ruin an engine.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Apparently 98 is 91 with a splash of additives in it...

98 has additives yes, specifically cleaning agents (which is why I say run a couple of tanks of 98 through instead). True 98 should be a product of refining, if they do it like that or add other additives here I don't know but there is an octane difference between the two whichever way.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
98 has additives yes, specifically cleaning agents (which is why I say run a couple of tanks of 98 through instead). True 98 should be a product of refining, if they do it like that or add other additives here I don't know but there is an octane difference between the two whichever way.

I was told by a tanker driver its 91 and they dose it to 98. He pointed out some equipment on the tanker that supposedly injects the "booster". The octane boosters are cleaning agents because of their chemical composition. Paint thinner is a good cleaning agent. Toluene is a good cleaning agent. Xylene is good cleaning agent. They are aromatics. They are also capable of boosting octane.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I know the ingredients in many herbicides but can not replicate the concentrations of them to reproduce them at home. I’ve tried.

Do the same with a car and that’s one big gamble if it goes wrong.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I know the ingredients in many herbicides but can not replicate the concentrations of them to reproduce them at home. I’ve tried.

Do the same with a car and that’s one big gamble if it goes wrong.

And some of it is really nasty **** to be playing with...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It is easier to just look up the CAS number. The first ingredient is the give away. The rest are just fractions from the cut of xylene.

Yes you could but most manufacturers don't tell you what percentages of said chemicals are used, they only give ranges or how those chemicals are mixed. There is a bit more to it than simply throwing in chemicals x,y,z and you are done.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
our hose manufacture had to get there fuel line hose remade as they found the new BP 98 was eating into it from the additives, and now u want to make your own cleaner, i can only see it having no affect at all or it will eat out your system from the inside over time and u wont realize till its too late, if ur worried about it just run E10 or u have an issue that needs fixing as the injectors shouldnt get crap to them in the first place to need that much cleaner used

Status
Not open for further replies.