Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] How to make your own Fuel injection cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
A cup of kerosene in a tank of fuel shouldn't cause any problems but injector cleaner is not simply kerosene. Injector cleaner contains a number of specific detergents, solvents and other compounds designed to do specific things within a vehicles fuel system without causing damage.

If injector cleaner was simply kerosene, such an 'industrial secret' would have become common knowledge by now and every man and his dog would be using it instead of purchasing injector cleaner at some silly markup (making stocking the stuff a mute point for businesses).

From what i have read, the major component of what is considered the quality injector cleaner is polyetheramine (PEA). This stuff is meant to be the most effective detergents at removing carbon deposits from within the combustion chamber and elsewhere. It was patented by Chevron in the early '80's and they called it Techron. Chevron included it within their petrol pumps at 400ppm, yep ppm. Down under, Shell advertises its premium unleaded as having great cleaning proporties so i'd guess they also add Techron to their petrol mix (bucket chemistry as you call it). I'd think the patents would have expired by now which I guess is why there are so many brands of injector cleaners on the market.

May be Techron is cheap to buy if you know where to get it from and happy to buy it in commercial quantities (44 gallon drums?). But mixing it at the correct % so as not to cause issue could be challenging. Keep in mind that chemicals at differing concentrations can have differing characteristics and thus impact components within a vehicle. As an example, coolant (dexcool) has been known to cause softening of some plastics/rubbers and it took GM some time (and a class action) to resolve that issue by changing the formulation of dexcool :eek: Unless you're actually a chemist, it might as well be rocket science ;)

And from a fuel system perspective, it's not just carbon deposits that cause issues within a vehicle. Petrol can also cause gummy varnish deposits outside the combustion chamber; in tanks, fuel bowles and fuel lines, not just in injectors. As an example, my motorcycle's float bowl had lots of yellow varnish within the carburator which made the engine run like a dog. Such deposits were a pain to clean off and kerosine did a rather poor job at cleaning the dismantled parts. Being years ago, can't remember what chemical I ended up using to wash the crap off but it was done using elbow grease on the dismantled carby parts. I'm sure there is a specific chemical additive that will wash such varnish away when mixed to petrol but living well with the various plastics used in modern vehicles tanks, lines and injectors is the challenge for the chemists. Heck Boch injectors have issues in our LS3's simply trying to cope with petrol and those guys spend millions or R&D o_O So I hardly think a backyard 'cook' can be certain what they make will work efficiently and will be safe over the long term for all the plastics as used in a modern vehicle ;)

So feel free to pour a cup of kero in your tank, maybe add some metho as well to allow the water to mix with the petrol so it can be consumed. It shouldn't cause any real issues, shouldn't. But I doubt it will clean anywhere like the 'engineered' injector cleaners containing PEA :eek:

Me, i'll let the oil companies do the chemical engineering work with additives in petrol as i usually don't add injector cleaner to my car. Somtimes on the rare occassions, when its on special, i'll buy some stuff and chuck it in a tank, usually I don't bother with additives.
Valve saver is just diesel yet everyone still buys valve saver ?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
A cup of kerosene in a tank of fuel shouldn't cause any problems but injector cleaner is not simply kerosene. Injector cleaner contains a number of specific detergents, solvents and other compounds designed to do specific things within a vehicles fuel system without causing damage.

If injector cleaner was simply kerosene, such an 'industrial secret' would have become common knowledge by now and every man and his dog would be using it instead of purchasing injector cleaner at some silly markup (making stocking the stuff a mute point for businesses).

From what i have read, the major component of what is considered the quality injector cleaner is polyetheramine (PEA). This stuff is meant to be the most effective detergents at removing carbon deposits from within the combustion chamber and elsewhere. It was patented by Chevron in the early '80's and they called it Techron. Chevron included it within their petrol pumps at 400ppm, yep ppm. Down under, Shell advertises its premium unleaded as having great cleaning proporties so i'd guess they also add Techron to their petrol mix (bucket chemistry as you call it). I'd think the patents would have expired by now which I guess is why there are so many brands of injector cleaners on the market.

May be Techron is cheap to buy if you know where to get it from and happy to buy it in commercial quantities (44 gallon drums?). But mixing it at the correct % so as not to cause issue could be challenging. Keep in mind that chemicals at differing concentrations can have differing characteristics and thus impact components within a vehicle. As an example, coolant (dexcool) has been known to cause softening of some plastics/rubbers and it took GM some time (and a class action) to resolve that issue by changing the formulation of dexcool :eek: Unless you're actually a chemist, it might as well be rocket science ;)

And from a fuel system perspective, it's not just carbon deposits that cause issues within a vehicle. Petrol can also cause gummy varnish deposits outside the combustion chamber; in tanks, fuel bowles and fuel lines, not just in injectors. As an example, my motorcycle's float bowl had lots of yellow varnish within the carburator which made the engine run like a dog. Such deposits were a pain to clean off and kerosine did a rather poor job at cleaning the dismantled parts. Being years ago, can't remember what chemical I ended up using to wash the crap off but it was done using elbow grease on the dismantled carby parts. I'm sure there is a specific chemical additive that will wash such varnish away when mixed to petrol but living well with the various plastics used in modern vehicles tanks, lines and injectors is the challenge for the chemists. Heck Boch injectors have issues in our LS3's simply trying to cope with petrol and those guys spend millions or R&D o_O So I hardly think a backyard 'cook' can be certain what they make will work efficiently and will be safe over the long term for all the plastics as used in a modern vehicle ;)

So feel free to pour a cup of kero in your tank, maybe add some metho as well to allow the water to mix with the petrol so it can be consumed. It shouldn't cause any real issues, shouldn't. But I doubt it will clean anywhere like the 'engineered' injector cleaners containing PEA :eek:

Me, i'll let the oil companies do the chemical engineering work with additives in petrol as i usually don't add injector cleaner to my car. Somtimes on the rare occassions, when its on special, i'll buy some stuff and chuck it in a tank, usually I don't bother with additives.

Kerosene is the main ingredient.

Look at the MSDS. There is no PEA listed in the Liqui Moly cleaner. And BTW it is not fashionable to refer to metho ... the industry seems to prefer to refer to it as "dewatering" or "anti icing" agent.

Bringing up PEA is going on off on a tangent. It is not relevant to the thread. It is hard to get too.

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

A typical Fuel injection cleaner ingredient is heating oil no.2 and it is basically kerosene. There is very little difference between kero and diesel. The rest of the composition is bugger all.

Some people think jet fuel is some sort of incredible fuel. It is kerosene.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Are you also aware that some of those additives used are known carcinogens? Sure they are fine when in a sealed bottle that is tipped straight into your fuel tank but do you really want to be using them in larger quantities without decent protective measures?

Adding a cup of kerosene to 80 litres of petrol could be potentially dangerous?

It's ******* awesome how you take everything I say out of context, this thread is about making your own fuel injector cleaner, not how you add it to a tank of fuel. Please try to stay on topic or maybe you'd like your own thread about how to add kerosene to a tank of fuel?

Just for you....

1985VK's thread about how to add fuel injector cleaner to a tank of fuel

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Depends on your definition of "known carcinogens". What petroleum product isn't a potential carcinogen? It is about identifying the ingredient. I did not refer to PEA. I did not refer to glycols either. This thread is about the product the OP bought. The MSDS was provided. Both main ingredients are readily available in the marketplace. I have studied chemistry, including physical, organic and inorganic chemistry. I am not fear mongering and i am on topic. I want to educate people and help them not get ripped off.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i dont get this whole getting ripped off thing injector cleaners are like $11 and if ur doing more then 1 a year id be using better fuel or using a finer filter before the injectors, it shouldnt be an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.