Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] how to make your own power window wiring harness

vrutemarcus

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vr ute s pack
After reading up on how to install power window on the forum i started to look into the wiring side of thing. I really didn’t want to get a whole power window loom as it was over 60 bucks at the wreckers whitch i believed was very over price.
I picked up the switch for 15 dollars at the local wreckers and cut the plug off and started to mess around with the wires to figure out how I could wire up the power windows regulators to the stock switch using my own wiring harness. Making up my own wiring harness only cost me 20 bucks and I found it heaps easier to follow and install than what i believe the stock loom would have been.

When i wired the regulators up to the switch and wired the power i used twin power and earth this made it easy for me to run the wires straight to the regulators and easy and clear when wiring up and hiding wires under the carpet.

Black = negative
Red & yellow = power to ignition
Green = right hand regulator down
Brown = right hand regulator up
Yellow = left hand regulator down
Blue = left hand regulator up

Attachments

• vr commodore wiring switch.jpg
    vr commodore wiring switch.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 23,841
  • DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 5,994

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
I just finished installing power windows in my VR with no number 5 fuse, whole **** was a big job, i searched and searched for a way to do it like this but had no success! so i went and spent a fortune getting the VN Calais electric window setup and modifying it a little bit to work with my VR with the help from NickVR! WHY COULDN'T YOU POST THIS A WEEK BEFORE!!!!!! hahaha good on you for posting this tho!

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
If you dont want holden power window swuitches. You can use on-off-on switch. Momentary switchs i think there called.

Positive | | Negitive
Window positive | | Window negitive
Negitive | | Positive

Thats how you wire up the switch. Clearly you would have a rely to an ignition souce and juction boxes for all the positives and negitives.

For some reason JC doesnt like my switch diagram (the one i typed, so the "|" are the termials on the switch.

vrutemarcus

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vr ute s pack
haha sorry mate. well thats the reason why i put this up so i could help people who had the same problem as me

holden91

Kickin it sideways
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs series 3 ute, ve berlina and a eh wagon
Was woundering where u pulled power from? And what colour wire it is? As im doing this and got stuck with which wire u used. Thanks

vrutemarcus

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vr ute s pack
i got power from the cigaret lighter so when i switched in the car it would work. you could always tap into your fuse box and get power from something else if you wanted to

writeoff

0 to 100... eventually
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Any one tried to use a VY VZ set of window switches with the VS regulators?

budwizer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
yeah ive seen it done, looks like a fairly nice upgrade, just need to figure out corresponding wire colours with the new window switch.

may have a photo somewhere.