Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to 'negotiate' cars for sale?

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Hey all. Been looking at a few cars lately and some have seen fairly expensive for what they are. Lots of them have price negotiable in the description, but i'm not really sure how to go about 'negotiating' with a seller :unsure:. Any tips appreciated!

Cheers everyone :D

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Give them a lower price then what he is asking for :p Seriously no science here. If you think a car is a rip of, tell him! (give them reasons why though)

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
haha well yeah thats the obvious! but there's only a certain amount of $$ you can go down just buy saying that. would offering to buy the car without like spare wheels, personalised plates etc a good way to get the price down.
This is an example of what i mean. i know its had money put into it, but for a vt it seems way to much to me.
what do you reakon?

2000 HOLDEN COMMODORE S VT II Private Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Hey all. Been looking at a few cars lately and some have seen fairly expensive for what they are. Lots of them have price negotiable in the description, but i'm not really sure how to go about 'negotiating' with a seller :unsure:. Any tips appreciated!

Just what i do
If your realy interested in a car look all over it take your time 1 hour or so
Mention all the faults you find like tiny dents ,tiny marks, anything and everything
Then when you have gone all the way through the car,,,,,,
Depends how "ono" they are but
Say car is $3600 Say......I will give you $3100 cash if they say no
Walk away...most of the time they will call you back and accept...But if they don't go back to them and say ok my last offer $3200 CASH
They do the same But
Depends on the car...But You could save $1000's if they want to get rid of it straight away
Also take note:::::::::::: When looking at car yards....Yeah they look very clean and tidy!!!!! But don't be fooled they just had a detail... Few hunderd km's later you will start to see any oil leaks if any
But....Take your time!!!!
Hope this helps?

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan

Also when looking at the car never mention any good things...Like " Nice clean paint jod," I like these wheels"
As saying this the seller thinks" hes gonna buy it pay top money for it"
Only mention the negatives

If you know any one that knows about cars take them with you...
Like find the negatives say ....This will cost Around $ such and such to fix
And deduct these of the sale price,,,
Remember they can only say "no"

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
haha well yeah thats the obvious! but there's only a certain amount of $$ you can go down just buy saying that. would offering to buy the car without like spare wheels, personalised plates etc a good way to get the price down.
This is an example of what i mean. i know its had money put into it, but for a vt it seems way to much to me.
what do you reakon?

2000 HOLDEN COMMODORE S VT II Private Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au
Just looked at that Vt
Thats a rip off !!!!!! But Nice car
If it was a ss yeh About the right price.......
Compare to ebay what similar cars sell for...If this was on ebay.....Lucky to get around $4000-$6000 I would think

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Ah classic video Maxxiz.

And yeah i really like the VT and its got all i'd want to do done, but still theres no way id pay 9.9k for one, the value of those has gone down a ridiculous amount!
i'd probably pay 8 for it though :p

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
have cash ready.... money talks =]
I paid 12k for my maloo =D