Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to not blow my engine up

bturn24

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Vs Commodore
g’day just wondering what basic mods i’d need to do to either an ecotec or buick 3.8 to not blow it up?

i’m planning on learning to drift and want a reliable engine but without an excessive amount of power because i figure i don’t really need it if i’m just beginning

cheers

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Where do you intend to learn?

bturn24

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Vs Commodore
Gossie probably just out at willowbank or something

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
All the people in Brisbane usually go to Archerfield, it's super regular there.

Low power is the best way to learn, gets you concentrating on speed/steering and setup instead of relying on power. Pretty much a case of doing more with less. TBH even if you're really experienced low power drifting is really telltale of somebody who can drive well.

Engine wise I wouldn't worry apart from more maintenance. Just sort the suspension and diff out so that the car handles well, replace bushes, get tires that don't have mad sidewall bulge, use something that isn't king springs. Maybe look at K-Sport coilovers or maybe XYZ rather than Pedders, neither of them have selectable spring rates so it could be pretty hard if you daily drive it.

Last edited:

bturn24

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Vs Commodore
All the people in Brisbane usually go to Archerfield, it's super regular there.

Low power is the best way to learn, gets you concentrating on speed/steering and setup instead of relying on power. Pretty much a case of doing more with less. TBH even if you're really experienced low power drifting is really telltale of somebody who can drive well.

Engine wise I wouldn't worry apart from more maintenance. Just sort the suspension and diff out so that the car handles well, replace bushes, get tires that don't have mad sidewall bulge, use something that isn't king springs. Maybe look at K-Sport coilovers or maybe XYZ rather than Pedders, neither of them have selectable spring rates so it could be pretty hard if you daily drive it.
thanks mate that helps heaps, do i not need to replace anything in the engine for it to not bust out as quickly?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
thanks mate that helps heaps, do i not need to replace anything in the engine for it to not bust out as quickly?
The V6 is pretty reliable, they can even take some punishment and won't blow up quickly... People pop M90s on the top on the L36 and if you take care they last a while. Search does an Ecotec Mang? You will see a vid of one being revved WOT while stationary and it takes a while to blow. Had it had some load on the bearings it would have lasted longer.... Revving the bags out of them in neutral tends to risk the engine pretty quick....

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

Not really, the engines are pretty basic so short of putting new rods or something major in it there's not a lot to do or go wrong. Don't need to worry about valve springs or anything like that with stock cams or stock power.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
full spool diff will make life easier when you want to slide and keep it predictable.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you go with Eco over Buick you will have plenty of spare engines for years to come and they are cheap as chips. Where you are, Buicks might be plentiful too? But if it's like Tas it getting hard to find a good cond Buick now.