Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to open bonnet when cable has snapped??

cdawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac Supercharged L67
hey guys the cable snapped for my bonnet latch so i cannot open the bonnet.... any idea how to open it?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
pry it open from under neath the car,you have to open the latch. by forcing it.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Not too sure but try taking the grill off (without smashing it) and unscrew the pin with a screw driver. Once the pin is out i think the bonnet should pop. I cant think of any other way?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
dont force anything man, thats not needed. there's a few options for you which are tricky but you dont need to damage anything.
the first thing you need to do is take off the grill, bit hard with the bonnet down but you should just have enough room to get a screwdriver in there and undo the three bolts holding it.
after that the first thing to try is see if you can get a grip on the bonnet cable with some multi grips and pull on it to release the latch, you should see where the cable runs once the grill is off.
if you cant get it or it still wont open then you can go for the harder way.
for this you'll need some multi grips and a very long (well, it helps if its long) flat head screw driver. you need to unscrew the stiker bolt from the bonnet (the thing that locks into the chassis and holds the bonnet down) using the flat head screwdriver.
to do this you will need to reach under the front bar and get the flat head to reach the bottom of the stiker bolt which has a slit in the bottom of it. whilst unscrewing it use mutli grips to hold and turn the nut at the base of the striker bolt.
it takes a little while but eventually you should get it undone...then the bonnet can be opened as there is nothing left holding it down.

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
whoa whoa whoa surely not...to get the VP bonnet open without the cable being attached, all you gotta do is stick a long handled screwdriver behind the front bumper and pushing a catch somewhere (manual's in the car, it says how). Nothing had to be unscrewed or removed, there was nothing about damaging the car. Don't go pulling **** off just yet :p

Last edited:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Oooh that could be very handy if it turns out to be simple :)

I'd have thought you could get someone to push the bonnet down and then push the bonnet catch aside (carefully, so you don't scratch the paint)

I'll delete this if I'm wrong :p

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
Have you tried shaking ur fist at it?! Usualy doesnt help but its better than breaking something!

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
What would Rambo do...

Pop up slowly behind your bonnet, growl at it, then destroy it and everything around it with a 50cal with unlimited ammo

Worked for him :p

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
pry it open from under neath the car,you have to open the latch. by forcing it.

NOOOOO WAY *slaps RVN 355*

remove the grille with a long phillips screw driver

then you need to stick a shorter flathead screw driver in the circle hole which is under the radiator support panel (the the drivers side of it) and release the thick clip from the circle spring latch, its hard to explain but you need to get inbetween the latch and the latch post and push leaver it towards the drivers side, ive done it a few times before, pain in the ass! but it CAN be done

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
whoa whoa whoa surely not...to get the VP boot open without the cable being attached, all you gotta do is stick a long handled screwdriver behind the front bumper and pushing a catch somewhere (manual's in the car, it says how). Nothing had to be unscrewed or removed, there was nothing about damaging the car. Don't go pulling **** off just yet :p

wtf are you on about dude....the bloke is trying to open his bonnet, not his boot.