Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to put a tacho on vn

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
so is there anyware to get a signal for a 4" tacho? if not whats the convertor thing?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
there is an artical i found in a street machine magazine that you can hook your tacho straight up to the wire in the engine bay (vn) without an adaptor. i can scan it and post it up if any1 wants a look at it. its called "tach tech".

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Could you please send it to me if you have time. thanks mate

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
yeah if you could scan it, that would be great.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
if its too small to read. save it to your desktop (or wherever) and open it with the "windows picture and fax viewer" (should be default application and open when when you click on a picture) and zoom in on it.
Street Machine - Tach Tech (edited).JPG
i have marked out the paragraph in red. (pretty obvious lol)
^^Article Taken From Street Machine Magazine^^

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
thanks for scanning but its pretty much useless as that wire doesnt work :(

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
If that wire doesn't work you could try taking the instrument cluster out. Behind the cluster should be three (if I can remember) plug things that the cluster plugs into (not sure if it's the same for all clusters, this is how it was for my level 2). On the left hand plug the top right wire is the tacho signal wire. Try connect your tacho signal input wire to that and see if it works. I can post pics if I can find my digital camera...

mat_vn3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
hey guys, if this thing in street machine don't work would any of you know the price of a converter pack??

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
So fella's a level2 dash will go straite into a s1 vn i got a cluster out of a vn lexen the other day witch has 3 plugs on the back like the cluster that is in my vn already.Well i took out my cluster and put in the cluster i got out of the vn lexen that has the tacho on the left side when i plugged it in abit of smoke was coming from behind the leftside of the cluster where the tacho is.Can anyone tell me what the problem was did i get the wrong cluster? or do i have to ad another fuse in my fuse box or something ? or is it because it was from a vn lexen

Last edited:

Aurc_2

Reaction score
Gday
the green or blue Ribbon card on the back of the dash cluster has a little chart at each connector on the back where it tells you what the wires are for(on the ribbon card)
if both dashes have ALL the same wires in the same places on the connectors it will work
if not?
pull the dash cluster apart and take out the individual Guages and swap them with your original dash and this will work (provided you havent blown anything up :bang: )

ive done this and it all works fine but i gutted a vr dash and used all four guages in my vn s1
Cheers

send us a pm to let us know how you went