Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to put a tacho on vn

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
You have 3 tacho wires pointed out?do they all go into one? It may be easyer for me to see tomorrow when ive pulled it out. And also my cluster doesnt have a tacho so will the wires still be there? With these wires that are attached to the conector, do i just tap into them? Sorry about all the questions im just not too good with the electronics and i dont want to pay $120 for someone to install the tacho for me.

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
3 tacho wires, one signal, one ground, one power......

I dont know which is which, but im pretty sure the top one with L1 is ground...

You would have to try it out for yourself...

LV1 (non tacho) and LV2 (tacho) clusters can be changed, just a straight plug in as the wiring on the LV1 setup is there. Basically, you will see the connectors once you take the cluster out. Those connectors go straight into the sockets (sockets 1, 2, and 3) on the back of the cluster. Wire it up to the connectors.

If you dont really know what you are doing, i would probably get a mate that does to help or get someone to install it for you. The simplest and cheapest thing to do would have been to get a LV2 dash for around 40bucks and slide it straight in, simple ;)

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would you know what order the conectors go in (which one the earth is, which one the signal is, which one the power is) Does it say anywhere on the back of the cluster.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i wired it up. I found out its the brown and blue wire that you get the tacho signal from. It didnt work. What could be the problem? I got the 12 volt power from the cigarette lighter and earthed it the same place the cigarette lighter earths, and got the signal from the brown and blue wire from the back of cluster. Tacho didnt move at all. thanks for any help

tweakt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
i have tried every different wire that has been mentioned on this site, i have opened up the 2 of the 3 different tachos i have and there was no loose connection/wire and the third i have had running in my vc so i know it works and i can say that i havnt tried the converter ive heard ppl talk about but to me it seems its impossible without this. Not that this really matters to me anymore because i have changed the cluster, but does this mean most of the ppl with aftermarket tachos in their vn/vp just put them their purely for the "w@#k factor"??????

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey when i wired up my tacho i used the cigarette 12volt power and earth. I put the brown wire as power and black as earth but it didnt work. i was just thinking that i have seen that in some electrical circuits Brown is earth.does anyone know which ones power and which ones earth? Black or Brown? Thanks

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i got the tacho working finally. The problem was where i was getting the 12volt power from. I was trying to get it from the cigarette lighter not knowing that the fuse was blown. So today i put a new fuse in and re-wired it and now works a treat. I got the tacho signal from behind the cluster but i also tried it on that brown wire in the engine bay and it works aswell. So im happy now:)

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
Hmmm Im about to install a tacho so ill see how it goes. I would buy a L2 dash but the odometre still works in mine. (Probley only one that works out of every VN made :p)