Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to read your speedo correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
They always give a k or 2 leeway on camera fines to account for errors, but it is now 'no tolerance' to the limit. (from the few fines I've seen)
Realistically though, no cop is going to ping you, then chase you down and pull you over for doing 2 or 3 over the limit

ratz26

worlds oldest noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VT equipe
not sure if its been mentioned yet...not gunna sit here and read everyone posts..
dont follow ur GPS for speed..ALL gps's are 5 - 10% out so when ur GPS says ur doing 110 ur actually doing 100..this happens due to the "LAG" from the time it takes the signal to get from the satilite to your GPS.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
not sure if its been mentioned yet...not gunna sit here and read everyone posts..
dont follow ur GPS for speed..ALL gps's are 5 - 10% out so when ur GPS says ur doing 110 ur actually doing 100..this happens due to the "LAG" from the time it takes the signal to get from the satilite to your GPS.

The lag would depend on how long you were travelling at that speed for, travel at any speed for a decent period of time and the lag will be irrelevant.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
most pathetic thread really. speedo's are calibrated fast to save most people from themselves and prevent that accidental speeding ticket. another goverment conspiracy maybe:D

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5

no way! do you actually know how these things work? Apart from digging a pretty OLD and dead thread you are providing misinformation.
I suggest you find out how these things work before you dump another gem of wisdom.

Yes, there will be lag but it doesn't cause your gps to be 'out' in any way. It will read the speed you were doing a second, maybe 10 even (signal, model etc etc). but at a constant speed it is as accurate as you'll ever get.

opspec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
The Australian Design Rule [A.D.R.] for vehicle speedometers only requires them to be accurate to WITHIN 10%. Vehicle manufacturers deliberately make theirs read on the fast side of this to cover their liability in the event someone was to take legal action as a result of being charged with a speeding offence

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
The Australian Design Rule [A.D.R.] for vehicle speedometers only requires them to be accurate to WITHIN 10%. Vehicle manufacturers deliberately make theirs read on the fast side of this to cover their liability in the event someone was to take legal action as a result of being charged with a speeding offence

Yeah it's 10% + 4 km/hr. So the maximum it can be out is if your speedo reads 100km/hr and you are actually doing 86 km/hr that's ok. Why even bother having speedo?
I lost my licence driving a rental, it's speedo was about 9% out I worked out. wtf.
I think toyotas are the worst in that aspect. watch drivers of certain makes and models and you will see that most late model toyotas are always (the majority) traveling a couple of kays slower than everyone else.

WestieZBRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB V6 AWD RS-V Commodore
Why not just do the speed limit as read on your speedo?

It's better going a little slower that other cars if it means you won't get booked.....besides, you'll only get to the traffic jam or red light 5 seconds later anyway...so what difference does it make?

just my thoughts.....

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
I hate the 10% of people who want to drive to what their speedo says that is 10% out, while not considering the wishes of what the other 90% of drivers want to drive at: the actual speed limit. This frustrates the crap out of these drivers who are stuck behind these INCONSIDERATE people, who are blisfully unaware that they are in fact holding up other drivers and preventing them from driving at the style and speed that they are most comfortable at driving at, which is the most safe style of driving for them.

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
Can you actually recalibrate VR-VS speedos? I tested mine with a GPS and found it was 5 - 10 kmphs slow! So when i'm going 60 i'm actually doing like 68 - 70! and at 100, i'm doing about 104 - 105!

Though it makes a lot of sense now i think of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.