Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to recon a bosch alternator in 94 vr

RorzaaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim wagon
Just bought a 94 vr acclaim, and after driving it very aggressively for the first few days i had it, the battery died, so i charged it and the car died within an hour of running, Im pretty sure it is the alternator but is there a way i can check?
And if it is, how do i recondition it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190528-173809_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20190528-173809_Video Player.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 259

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Firstly use a multimeter and see what output is coming out of it at the main positive connection. It should be putting out somewhere in the 14 volt bracket. If not I'm sure it will probably be nothing more than a worn out set of brushes in the regulator which is the black unit that's bolted in the back of the alternator.
Either buy another complete regulator and bolt it in or you can buy replacement brushes and solder them in if you are handy.

If it's not that then it'll be the battery itself that's moving on to the next phase of it's life..........death, and I'm sure you'll know the remedy for that.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
if the charge light on the dash isn't working the alternator wont charge. Is your charge light working? As it sounds like you've been reving **** out of i guess the alternator itself is rooted

RorzaaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim wagon
if the charge light on the dash isn't working the alternator wont charge. Is your charge light working? As it sounds like you've been reving **** out of i guess the alternator itself is rooted
I have a check engine light and battery light on dash