Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to reinstall VZ auto gear shifter boot?

Ian555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim wagon
I can't get the boot back onto the shift selector assembly of my 4L60E auto transmission on my V6 VZ

The boot became dislodged from the small tangs underneath the upper cover (the big flat grey plastic surface around the gear shift lever). I'll need to flip the cover over to get the boot back onto the tangs, and click the lower housing back on, so the boot is sandwiched in again.

I don't really want to take the whole assembly out from the gearbox, from underneath the car. So if I just take out the torx screw at the front of the shifter knob, will the shifter knob (with boot) slide off the transmission assembly without drama? Then, after I finish getting the boot back in place, can I just slip the knob, boot and plastic housings back on, again without drama?

If there's going to be problems, what should I look out for?

V05_7C4_4L60-E page 22 lr.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hold my tea

Ian555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim wagon
You're a legend Fu. Looked on that thread of your Crewman rebuild, also found some more on replacing the boot in your post #227. So yeah, it can all be done from the top is what I've found out.

Just one more question: will I need to remove the control rod button at the top of the shifter knob, or can I just leave it in place, when I take the knob off the shifter?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can’t do it with everything in. The console comes out, the selector comes out. Remove the shifter surround and assembly. That boot is the last thing you can get to. No other way.