Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to removal the material underlay stuck to the floor

peter1

peter1
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2
i have remove the center console, front and rear seats as well as carpet and all under lay. i have removed all the floor bung to release all the water i had to remove some of the material glued to the floor to access the bungs. Found alot of moisture under edge of the material. Does any know how to remove the rest of this material from the floor and the rubber stuff from floor of the boot.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
The stuff under the underlay is bitumen. I think you'll just have to scrape it out.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Id try something to soften it first, maybe some orange cleaner or.... anything that will soften tar, I cant speak from experience but once its broken down use a paint scraper.

I had to remove some from the boot of a car years ago, tried a wire wheel and it got pretty messy.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
i have remove the center console, front and rear seats as well as carpet and all under lay. i have removed all the floor bung to release all the water i had to remove some of the material glued to the floor to access the bungs. Found alot of moisture under edge of the material. Does any know how to remove the rest of this material from the floor and the rubber stuff from floor of the boot.

The best way to get the bitumen coating off is use a hot air gun and paint scraper. Heat up the coating slowly and scrap it off. It will take time
OR Before you heat up the bitumen look around for splits & cracks in it also form under the car push out the rubber plugs which will help lift up the bitumen.
Chip up as much as you can first before you start heating it coz i will get messy.

If heating doesnt work

Other way is to melt it with deisel, deisel is safer as it has a much higher flash point so it will be safe to weld around after. Just were gloves & protective clothing when you use it and wash yourself very well after if you leave it on your skin it will take your skin off.

Also another way I have used is to get a wire wheel in a drill and it will oblitorate it off the metal, just make sure you wear safety glasses when you do it, also it works better on bitumen that hasent been heated or had a solvent on.

peter1

peter1
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2
Hi thank you for all the replies hope this helps others as well

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi thank you for all the replies hope this helps others as well

no worries at all................................cheeeers

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I saw someone break it out with dry ice. throw it in (with gloves on of course) and it basically chills it, then tap it and shatter it out.

I previously used the hot air gun and scraper method.
Very thorough, but its a fairly slow job if its thick and its a pain in the arse.
Try the dry ice and let us know.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
dry ice costs lol ya sisters hair dryer is free lol .......
I saw someone break it out with dry ice. throw it in (with gloves on of course) and it basically chills it, then tap it and shatter it out.

I previously used the hot air gun and scraper method.
Very thorough, but its a fairly slow job if its thick and its a pain in the arse.
Try the dry ice and let us know.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
we just layed some stuff on our 1tonner, its like tar, bitumen and like led i think haha.
we put it on with a heat gun.. so im guessing heat it up and pull it off?