Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove head unit in VE omega?

rushy_101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Ute MY09
Hi id like to install a custom head unit in my VE omega ute.

Im not really worried about wiring it up. That part should be fine, as im pretty confident with wiring.

But im having trouble with removing the console and trim n that.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the facasia or the centre console, so i can remove the stock audio system. Iv read a few posts, but none of them actually explain how to remove all the plastic surrounds. Please help. Pics would be great.

Heres what i looks like: http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/HoldenVECommodoreTechnology2.jpg

Thanks in advance..

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I pretty sure the stock unit cannot be completely removed, it has the a/c controls etc all integrated.

rushy_101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Ute MY09
I had a look from the side, by removing some of the trim. The audio and A/C are different components. But from the fron they appear to be one unit.

I spent ages removing the trim and i was at the point where I couldnt find any other screws to remove. I was worried about breaking the trim and scrathching it with the screw driver whilst prying it open.

`redoctober

All show, baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais - Senator Replica
Without the factory head unit in place the car will not start. It's an anti-theft system that you can't get around.

Sorry but if you want an aftermarket head unit you'll have to run it separately from the dash or just get a line converter and run it from the stock head unit.

I'm running mine from the stock head unit, sounds as good as aftermarket, so why bother :)

rushy_101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Ute MY09
Without the factory head unit in place the car will not start. It's an anti-theft system that you can't get around.

Sorry but if you want an aftermarket head unit you'll have to run it separately from the dash or just get a line converter and run it from the stock head unit.

I'm running mine from the stock head unit, sounds as good as aftermarket, so why bother :)

Thats CRAZY. Why would holden do that, arg! I was better of keepn my VZ.

How did you find out about this? Could yplease ou explain a bit more re: the line converter?

rushy_101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Ute MY09
I had a look at the line converter. Its pretty clever.

Now that i know, i think il go to plan B and buy an ipod or something and connect it to the front AUX in.

Plus ill upgrade the speakers, to get some extra bass.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN

That cant be right. Check out this link with an aftermarket unit in a VE. Link

`redoctober

All show, baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais - Senator Replica
That cant be right. Check out this link with an aftermarket unit in a VE. Link

That's just a stock VE SSV HU mate, lol, sorry to burst your bubble :p

This is my stock HU:
holden-ve-commodore-8-big.jpg

It differs from lower class models to upper class models.