Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove headlight covers?

JShaw

greeeeeeeeen
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Executive
I'm looking at getting HID's (or thereabouts) for my parker lights but hit a bit of a crossroads when i tried to take the headlight cover off hahaha.
Do I need to physically detach the light from the car or can i do it while it's still attached??
thanks!

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Er, of course you can do it while they're on the car.

They can be a bit tough to turn though. You may need to just shove your battery out of the way to get a better grip on the cover.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You obviously don't remove the 'headlight cover'. Access to the globes is through 'portals' with screw/locking covers at the rear of the lights. You may have to remove your battery and air filter/cleaner to gain easy access. Before changing your lights you need to consider that any changes made from ADR compliance that existed at the time of manufacture of your vehicle are ILLEGAL. The following may also be of some help to you in understanding the regulations regarding lights etc. If in doubt check with your Transport Authority or Vehicle Registration Authority in your State.

Motor vehicles have been required to comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR's) for lighting since October 1991. ADR 13 mandates the number and position of lamp assemblies, ADR 46 prescribes the photometric requirements of the lamp itself and ADR 51 is the standard for filament bulbs.

ADR 51 accepts ECE regulation 37 as an alternative standard for filament bulbs and prescribes the dimensional and photometric requirements for filament bulbs (including headlamps). This ensures inter-changeability and correct functioning when installed in a complying lamp unit.

All complying bulbs sold in Australia would be marked with the "E" mark and possibly the words "Suitable for European Use". The packaging may also indicate compliance with ADR 51 or ECE 37.

When a replacement complying bulb of the correct type (for example H4 45/60 Watts) for a complying headlamp is fitted to that assembly, the light emitted will be within the spectral requirements for white light. This will not be in breach of Section 63 to Schedule 1 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management- Vehicle Safety and Standards) Regulation 1999.
Although these lamps are a standard fitment to many newer vehicles, a "blue" complying lamp can be fitted to a lamp assembly on a vehicle that was not originally fitted with these bulbs.

It is important to note that ADR 51 limits the power of various bulb types, and bulbs of a similar style but higher power rating will not comply and should not be used. For example, the common H4 bulb that has a complying rating of 45/60 watts, is available in much higher rating of 45/100 watts. The higher powered bulbs produce more glare and the resulting light pattern would not comply with the ADR.

Although regulations do not require drivers of pre-1991 vehicles to fit complying bulbs, consumers should be careful when fitting non-complying "blue" light bulbs to pre-ADR vehicles, as the resulting light spectrum may fall outside the standard for white light (that is, the blue frequencies may predominate).

If a Licenced Examiner suspects that the light output from a headlight appears blue, the examiner should take appropriate action based on the following summary tables:

For vehicles manufactured on or after 1 October 1991
• Bulb must be marked.
• Bulb must be the correct wattage.

For vehicles manufactured prior to 1 October 1991
• Bulb does not have to be marked.
• Bulb may be alternative higher wattage.
• Bulb must not show obvious blue light (when viewed directly ahead).

Licenced Examiners Action:
If, during the course of an inspection, Licenced Examiners have cause to inspect vehicles modified by changing the original lighting componentry assemblies, they are to ensure that individual vehicles comply with the previously mentioned details. Modifications of this type

S

StealthCalais

No need to remove the actual headlight housing from the car. You just plug/unplug the bulbs in the back of the headlight housing. To get to the screw caps/access ports on the back of the lights - as said above just need to loosen bolt on battery and slide it out of the way (mind you there's still not a great deal of room back there), then I think I removed the airbox filter thing on the other side to get to that headlight.

wattles

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Sv6 04
the parkers dont twist either they just come out, well mine do anyway lol (spent ages trying to unscrew them :p) good work benboy on copying and pasting lol