Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"How To" Remove Indicator Stalk VT-VX *Detailed*

TiMMy2410

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina
Yes.......... You can.

Will I need to make any changes to the wiring or will it just plug in? Also, is it possible to get the variable intermittent wiper switch working that the Berlina/Calais VT models come with?

hopewell99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2 2000
Hello :) Ok, just wanted to show my sincerest appreciation for this very helpful thread! I have been without high beams for a very. long. long. long. long longggggg time now, having to take relay out to be able to drive at night, as the high beams kept coming on randomly (usually after turn signal). I had other issues with them getting stuck on too, and so removing the relay was only thing i could really do :s

Anyway, was able to replace the indicator stalk this afternoon using this very handy write-up! I bought it for about $29.20 off of eBay yesterday(carsRus), and it unexpectedly came today! So this is how things went!: After installing it, i connected battery up again and put in the high beams relay, and tried my lights, but high beams wouldn't work at all (though i noticed the high-beam dash-indicator light was atleast now not coming on when it shouldn't be! All lights and blinkers were working, except pushing stalk forwards to activate high beams, and nothing would happen, just all lights would cut out. Pulling backwards ("flashing"), had the same effect; my lights would all just cut out!

I checked fuse 29 and 30 under the hood (like i read earlier), but those fuses were ok. So the issue then i figured MUST be the high beams relay. Called Repco, they said they were around $30 :)bang:), so decided just to go to local wreckers. Ended up getting one for $11, popped it in, and bingo bango, high beams all working again!!! YAY!! Anyway, thanks again :spot on:

chiselvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina wagon
Thanks for this write-up. My (edit: not VT) VX Berlina had an indicator that kept clicking intermittently. So I replaced it with one off carsrus but alas it has the same issue!! Except it is worse in that occasionally now the indicator actually comes on with the clicking. As with the original, if I push gently on the stalk while it is clicking the clicking stops.

I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the mechanism for turning the indicator off that's inside the steering wheel. Either that or some wiring/connector is loose. I guess I'll have to take it apart and have another look.

Last edited:

sammond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged V6
I paid $44 for a stalk yesterday. This guide was great! Thanks so much.

Now, does anyone have a guide on replacing cruise control module? seems the stalk wasn't the issue :|

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
Hey guys,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but i found a wiper stalk with the variable int speed in it at U-Pull-It today. My VX SS doesn't have it currently.

Any way of making this work in my VX? Seems as though it has an additional plug that my VX SS doesn't have.

Sorry if this has been answered before....cheers!

heebiegeebies

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx 3.8lt executive wagon
thanks ozzie, my indicator been clicking{noise only} intermittent for about a week.
dropped son off at work this morn,driving along and can smell melting wire, smoke starts pouring up from fuse box somewhere.
I turned cruise control off and the smoking stopped. the cruise control has been playing up for awhile now,wouldnt always engage & only 1 dash light instead of 2. I thought car would blow fuse before burning wires as vi haven't messed with wiring at all.
hoping now too much damage behind fuse box. great thread:axe:

Eranda1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE 2008 OMEGA
I believe this is the same procedure for VE commodore as well. Have those 2 hooks. BTW guys for VE commodore the stalk is different, just letting you know because online seller sent me the wrong one

OldVT2000

Reaction score
Thanks!

Just wanted to give you a Big Thank You for this write up.

My 2000 VT sedan started high beaming on its own recently. Googling found that it is a common problem and lead me here.

I ordered a stalk from CarsRUs in QLD
Search results for: 'IVT7510NCC'

$29.95 plus $7.05 delivery.
Ordered after 3pm on Friday and it arrived in Melbourne on Monday. Installed the next day. Took me about 30 minutes.

Stalk includes cruise control. Everything works fine.
It feels like I have a new car.

Androo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Acclaim
I got a stalk on ebay for $24 and installed it using the OP's instructions, it worked, great thread!

Brimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commie
Thanks for the very clear instructions, Ozzie.