Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"How To" Remove Indicator Stalk VT-VX *Detailed*

Michelle Lees

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 Wagon
ok, today I tackled my VS stalk replacement - I used the above info and I think the VS is slightly easier than other models. (I didn't have to touch the fuse area, just to the two plastic shrouds covering the steering column between the S/wheel and the dash)

#1 Phillips Screwdriver and a small precision standard screw driver
#2 Tilt steering wheel as low as poss
#3 Undo 5 phillips screws all underneath the column (you'll see the 5 screws if you look at the plastic shroud from underneath)
#4 Either use your thumbs as described earlier or I used my precision screwdriver and slid it along the plastic to separate the top from the bottom, I started at the area closest to the dash board and worked my may back, very gently and no force was necessary
#5 Lift top plastic up (mine wouldn't totally come out because the top was attached by vinyl to the area under the speedo, no issue thou)
#6 Move the bottom plastic slightly down and away from the ignition cyclinder (remove key!)
#7 So you should now have the top and bottom plastic open like a jaw but still largely hugging the column. Not as good as totally removing them, but it wasn't essential in my situation.
#8 Release the old stalk by pinching the retaining clips (Study your new one first to identity where these clips are)
#9 The stalk will then happily release from its position but still be attached by 3 wire harnesses
#10 release the two harnesses directly connected to the stalk, and then follow the extra thick wire under the the column and trace it as it crosses over to the left hand side of the column and release this connection using your precision screw driver
#11 Now that you have released the stalk from the 3 wiring harnesses, remove it and start to install the new one!

Before reassembling the plastic shrouds, TEST YOUR NEW STALK!

Reassemble is the same as above but here are some extra tips:

Once the stalk is in home and in position and wired up x3, start bringing the top and bottom plastic shrouds back together around the steering column, mine became a little tricky due to the long plastic securing lugs that are part of the inside (mounts) of the plastic shroud. Take your time. I kept giggling the plastic gently and they found their natural place by itself, once the the top and bottom were aligned, I reinstalled the screws and the rest is easy.

Hold the top and bottom together so there is no gap, check the rubber boot of both the new stalk and your windscreen wiper stalk are 'home' in their correct position and re- install the same 5 screws again and thats it!

Hey there. Does anyone know if I can change these from a VT model to a VY model blinker stall? Same with the windscreen wiper stalk?

Gazza62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Commodore Series II Executive
Great write up Ozzie and it’s still going strong after 11 years Can someone please help me. How do you get those darn clips on the bottom surround to slide back in with the steering wheel still on. I got it all off OK and removed and replaced the Indicator Stalk but how do you get those two clips back into place, I can’t get anywhere near them. I know there’ll be a trick to it but I’m buggered if I can work it out. TIA