Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove lower window black & chrome mouldings on VR/VS Statesman / Caprice

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
My car is almost ready for paint, however I have no idea how all the lower window mouldings are attached. The black ones that run around the car with a chrome strip, and run across the back of the boot too.

I have heard a few people say they are just stuck on there as a fixed item, is this true?

I assumed they would maybe have some sealant, but that they would be bolted into the body at some areas? Not too keen on painting the car with them left on, would prefer to get the paint underneath.

If anyone has done this before and knows how they all bolt up, please drop a message below, are they all stuck on only or are they bolted and stuck at the same time?

EDIT: While I've got this thread too, what's the go with the top chrome metal strip with the rubber seal on it, directly above the rear windscreen, is that bolted in too and if so can you access the nuts for it by removing the upper rear window interior plastic trim?

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The door weather belts as they are known as are just pushed down from above. They can be removed carefully with the window lowered and using a flat bladed screwdriver while placing a rag underneath it in a ball on to of the door trim area and lever up from one end.

That Statesman rear window reveal I'm not so sure about as I've never played any Statesman rear trim stuff.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Stato top strip is red plastic clips. I found this out when I seen a piece of it showing (between roof and top strip) I pulled it out with needle nose players thinking it was a bit of random plastic/debris. Wish I didn't it's never sat right since.

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Thanks guys, door weather belts should be easy enough, might leave the top rear window chrome on if they are a nightmare and just cut the rubber seal off the inside.

Anyone else have any idea how to remove the lower chrome around the statesmans lower rear windows (bottom of the opera house windows) and along the back of the bootlid?

hiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman vs series 3
hi vr84 the chrome strip around the operahouse windows is actually aluminium and quite fragile. it is held in by 8or9 press in nylon studs which after weathering are very fragile.it is best to get a narrow (25mm wide) plastic or nylon scraper and gently lever up the "chrome" strip starting at the straight end,near the rear door and gradually levering up the strip without bending it.once this is removed the rubber /plastic strip below can be similarly removed. as regards the door weather belts there is asmallphillips head screw at each end which can only be accessed if the interior door trim/card has been removed.hope this is helpful.

regards hiker.

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Thanks mate, great info

Anyone have any idea about removing the part along the back of the boot lid? Is it just stuck on with urethane or is there more to it?

hiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman vs series 3
hi vr84 the plastic /chrome strip along the back of the boot lid is held on by about 10 nuts underneath.the statesman plastic garnish on the rear of the boot lid is held on by about 10 nuts inside the boot lid,first remove the carpet liner on the inside of the boot lid then remove lampholders for the reversing lights and then remove the nuts holding the garnish. i must again stress the fragility of these plastic parts, sometimes the plastic and chrome strip top and bottom may separate from the main plastic assembly some patience and much care required. good luck ,hiker.