Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove PCM plastic mounting?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I need to remove the plastic mounting for the PCM on my 3.8 VY S. That's the black plastic mounting which sits behind the kick panel on the left side of the passengers foot well.

I was refitting the dash pad after replacing the heater core when I dropped the screwdriver bit behind the kick panel. I'm fairly sure the bit is lodged behind the mounting as I cannot see it anywhere else. One of those Oh St1t moments when everything was going well then you spend half an hour trying to find something like this.

I'm pretty sure I've had the mounting off before to work on the electric aerial but I'm buggered if I could find a way to get it off today. The Service Manuals just says remove the mounting without saying how.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Fairy sure it just unclips,
First, unclip the ECM and let it hang [careful none of the plugs fall out],
then just give it a wiggle and it should unclip,
It just sits in the holes, there is one or two legs that hold it in place, the others are just stand offs.
When re-fitting the ECM, again make sure no plugs have dislodged.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Thanks,

Yep, got the PCM unclipped no problem. I don't remember it being difficult to get the mounting off last time. perhaps I wasn't brutal enough in trying to pry it off today.

Noted on the plugs.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's going to take a lot more that basic handling of the PCM to make those plugs come out unless someone has had them out previously and they haven't been re-fitted correctly.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
It's going to take a lot more that basic handling of the PCM to make those plugs come out unless someone has had them out previously and they haven't been re-fitted correctly.

I kind of expected that, looking at how they were constructed and by how the other plugs on the car are connected together.