Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove radiator

user1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
hi, having trouble trying to locate the bolts of the radiator in a 6cyl vt commodore.
plz help as search engines found nothing on this subject.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Below are the steps on how to do it! Steps with a blue number have a diagram available on request. And if you need details in step 8 (AKA you dont know how to remove the power steering pump reservoir) also let me know. I'll have to grab those for you.

1. Allow engine to cool to ambient temperature (less than 50°C), then remove radiator cap.
CAUTION:
Do not remove radiator cap while the engine coolant temperature is above 50°C, as personal injury may result.
2. Disconnect battery earth lead.
3. Remove coolant overflow hose from radiator filler neck connection.
4. Remove radiator lower hose from radiator connection and allow coolant to drain into a suitable splash tray.
CAUTION:
Always wear protective safety glasses when working with spring type hose clamps. Failure to do so could result in eye injury.
5. Remove radiator upper hose from radiator.
6. Remove the cold air intake duct and radiator shroud retainers, disengage locating tabs by pulling shroud towards front of vehicle prior to
removing the shroud.
7. If vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission, loosen transmission oil cooler line hose clamps and disconnect hoses from radiator oil cooler unions.
Plug hoses and oil cooler unions to prevent foreign matter entry.
8. Remove the power steering pump reservoir, refer to Section 9A STEERING.
9. Depress tang on main wiring harness to cooling fan motor wiring harness connector and separate connector.
10. Using a screwdriver, compress and lever out radiator retaining clips from radiator upper mounting brackets.
11. Lift radiator upwards out of lower insulators and remove radiator from vehicle. Remove upper insulators from radiator upper mounting pins.

user1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
tnx alot bud, I only needed to lift it high enough to seal a leak, hopefully quick steel will do the job.

i also found this link to manual which helped. (sorry mods if this is not permitted)

VT VX Series Service Manual
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/132823998/VTVYSERIES_II.pdf - 108mb

Panya

Im..a..BANaNnA!!11!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II 3.8Ltr
gday guys,

im doing a rad removal/replacment for the second time in a month as my new one has blown, what i need to know is, will the tranny fluid lost out of the rad be a sufficient amount to cause any damage to the auto box?

If so, is there a "how to" on dropping and replacing automatic tanny fluid?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Just drop some more fluid in if you know what type you have. If you don't know then just drop some Lucas transmission oil stabilizer in. Unless your car needs a trannie service, in which case do it.

TriK

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina II sedan
I was wondering how you went with the quick steel to fix the leak? i assume that it is similar to steel stick, you mix the two colours of the tube together for a few mins and then apply it? i was thinking about using this as i dont want to fork out 800 for holden to put a new radiator in.

Also wondering how well they go with high temperature of radiators?

cheshon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais 3.8 L 2001
Below are the steps on how to do it! Steps with a blue number have a diagram available on request. And if you need details in step 8 (AKA you dont know how to remove the power steering pump reservoir) also let me know. I'll have to grab those for you.

1. Allow engine to cool to ambient temperature (less than 50°C), then remove radiator cap.
CAUTION:
Do not remove radiator cap while the engine coolant temperature is above 50°C, as personal injury may result.
2. Disconnect battery earth lead.
3. Remove coolant overflow hose from radiator filler neck connection.
4. Remove radiator lower hose from radiator connection and allow coolant to drain into a suitable splash tray.
CAUTION:
Always wear protective safety glasses when working with spring type hose clamps. Failure to do so could result in eye injury.
5. Remove radiator upper hose from radiator.
6. Remove the cold air intake duct and radiator shroud retainers, disengage locating tabs by pulling shroud towards front of vehicle prior to
removing the shroud.
7. If vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission, loosen transmission oil cooler line hose clamps and disconnect hoses from radiator oil cooler unions.
Plug hoses and oil cooler unions to prevent foreign matter entry.
8. Remove the power steering pump reservoir, refer to Section 9A STEERING.
9. Depress tang on main wiring harness to cooling fan motor wiring harness connector and separate connector.
10. Using a screwdriver, compress and lever out radiator retaining clips from radiator upper mounting brackets.
11. Lift radiator upwards out of lower insulators and remove radiator from vehicle. Remove upper insulators from radiator upper mounting pins.

Hi Alien,

can you please upload the images for the steps 7, 9 and 10. thnx

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Hi Cheshon, Alien posted his reply 9 years ago.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
And he was last seen on here in December 2011