Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove Tow Bar VE ?

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
Hey guyz

pickted up my VE SSV not too long ago but wanna take off the tow bar.

now i've heard that you need to take off the rear bar as well.
Is this true ?
can somebody confirm or if any can help ?

cheers

-Geoff

321ceu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS Sedan
HI,
about to do the same myself which initially I thought would be as easy as unbolt and remove. I have spoken to a few places and you need to remove the rear bumbper bar, unbolt the towbar and remove it. The car comes standard with an alluminium impact bar which gets removed when a towbar is fitted you will need to get this replaced. The guy that is going to do mine is going to save all the pieces i require when he fits a towbar to a VE so I won't have to go and buy from Holden. Hope that helps

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Rear bar has to come off and you'll be left with an ugly hole in your rear bar unless you fork out for a new bar.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Keep the bar on the car, leave the tow bar tongue in place and remove the tow ball from the tongue.

Bars add additional strength to the rear of the car and will also often protect your car from lower speed rear end collision damage from other vehicles.

I have been hit in previous vehicles I have owned a couple of times and each time the tow bar has prevented any damage to the rear of the car. (The culprit's car did not come out unscathed after collecting the tow bar tongue). They are also useful to avoid damage from those drivers who run too close when parking behind you.

Now I always fit tow bars to help protect the car from rear end damage. It's a lot cheaper than having your car's panels mangled by some idiot driver and it is always there if you ever need to tow a small trailer occasionally or bolt on a bike carry rack.

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
...will also often protect your car from lower speed rear end collision damage from other vehicles...

That's what i was going to say.

I have had a couple of incidents where Taxi's have been impatient behind me. One at a crossing and one at a set of lights. They were bumping me trying to get me to go earlier, but the more they bumped the longer I stayed. They can bump my tow bar all day if they want, it's only going to put a hole in their front bumper.

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
hey guyz

well u see...the ugly thing is the fact that the tongue sticks out...i was thinking that section would be retracted into the bar then covered up..then when needed..ui just need to remove the cover and shove the tow ball on....

but i don't think this is the case.

i wanna take it off and fit reverse sensors and maybe a camera..don't really want the tiw bar coz one..i won't ever pull anything..and 2... i like the clean look.

if i can keep the tow bar..while being covered (tongue being retracted in more) then i'd leave it

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
hey guyz

well u see...the ugly thing is the fact that the tongue sticks out...i was thinking that section would be retracted into the bar then covered up..then when needed..ui just need to remove the cover and shove the tow ball on....

but i don't think this is the case.
ney
i wanna take it off and fit reverse sensors and maybe a camera..don't really want the tiw bar coz one..i won't ever pull anything..and 2... i like the clean look.

if i can keep the tow bar..while being covered (tongue being retracted in more) then i'd leave it

A tow bar fitting and tongue looks a lot less "ugly" than a big hole in the plastic fitting that will be left when you remove the tow bar (and possible damage to the rear bar when you remove and refit it). But each to his own.

I would much rather have the protection the tow bar gives especially if I had that nice SS V. The first time someone bumps you and takes some paint off your rear bar you will be wishing you had left that tow bar and tongue in place. The problem is that in the city it is more likely than not that some imbecile in their Jap junk box or the like will bump you and damage your paint and bumper bar.

= SUPERMAN =

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all, I bought an SSV and it came with the factory tow bar kit (Heavy duty 2100kgs). I wasn't a fan of so it decided to remove the bumper to see whats behind there.

BUMPER: Taking off the bumper was very easy. Its only held by 2x screws that is located on the top edges of the bumper (near the wheel arch).You also need to get under the car and take off the clips that are attached to the rear defuser (Black plastic thing in the middle of the bumper). From memory there are about 6 plastic clips there that can be removed using a flat head screw driver. The rest of the rear bar are held by clips that pops of as you pull the bumper off the body of the car. (Just don't force it, cos you might snap them).

REVERSE SENSOR: wiring and the sensor are obviously attached to the bumper, but the can easily be unplugged. Just when talking the bumper off, don't pull too hard cos you might rip the wires for the reverse sensor.

TOW BAR: Now that I have taken off the rear bumper, I noticed a big silver metal bar across the entire rear of the car (impact bar) it was attached to actual tow bar (One piece). After further examination, I noticed that its bolted from the top. To access this bolts u need to go to your boot and remove the carpet. You can miss it. There are 2x bolts on each side. All you need to do is unbolt them and the entire tow bar comes off. BUT in saying that, you will also lose the impact bar, so what you need is to buy a replacement brackets from Holden/wreckers from standard VE that is not fitted with tow bar, so you can re install the impact bar. U NEED IT!

REAR DEFUSER: Yes you will have a hole that don't look right. You can live with it or buy a new defuser for about $70-80. Heaps on ebay G8 style.

I decided to not to go ahead with removing the tow bar, cos i thought i might need it one day, but really not a fan of it. You can remove the ball tip (depends on what model the tow bar is)...mine just pops off (held by a pin.

Just for you info ;)

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Keep the bar on the car, leave the tow bar tongue in place and remove the tow ball from the tongue.

Bars add additional strength to the rear of the car and will also often protect your car from lower speed rear end collision damage from other vehicles.

I have been hit in previous vehicles I have owned a couple of times and each time the tow bar has prevented any damage to the rear of the car. (The culprit's car did not come out unscathed after collecting the tow bar tongue). They are also useful to avoid damage from those drivers who run too close when parking behind you.

Now I always fit tow bars to help protect the car from rear end damage. It's a lot cheaper than having your car's panels mangled by some idiot driver and it is always there if you ever need to tow a small trailer occasionally or bolt on a bike carry rack.

I agree. Have one on the calais and have no intention of removing it as it adds a little protection.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If someone want's to offload their towbar ,,, I need one !!
Whats the go with the parking sensors though ? will they not work at all while the tow bar is installed ?
Thanks.