Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How To Repair Reverse Light Switch on Auto VR/VS Commodore

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
How To Repair Reverse Light Switch on Auto VR/VS Commodore
Tools Needed:
Phillips Head screwdriver
Flat Head screwdriver
Time Required:
15 – 30 minutes
Instructions
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.<!--[endif]-->Remove the surround from the gear lever, it just pops out. Then remove the white piece as well, make sure you have disconnected the cigarette lighter and the light for the selector.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2.<!--[endif]-->You should see the switch Refer to pic 1
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3.<!--[endif]-->Undo the two screws and unplug the connector. Then slide the switch off the transmission. Refer to pic 2
<!--[if !supportLists]-->4.<!--[endif]-->Now you have got the switch out you should have a part looking similar to mine. Refer to pic 3
<!--[if !supportLists]-->5.<!--[endif]-->On the side that the wires come off there is a little green clip thing, you need to push on that. Refer to pic 4
<!--[if !supportLists]-->6.<!--[endif]-->Whilst you are pushing on the green clip insert a screwdriver into the other side of the switch. Refer to pic 5
<!--[if !supportLists]-->7.<!--[endif]-->Gently lever the green piece from the switch. There isn’t anything in there that you have to be careful of. Refer to pic 6
<!--[if !supportLists]-->8.<!--[endif]-->Now you can slide the black bits apart and you should see the contacts on both parts. Refer to pic 8
<!--[if !supportLists]-->9.<!--[endif]-->Bend the contacts out until they are flush with or just outside the rim. Refer to pic 9
<!--[if !supportLists]-->10.<!--[endif]-->Once you have done that you can put it all back together again and test it in the car, after you have screwed it back down. Mine worked perfectly the first time. I also checked to see if the car would start in Neutral and Park. It was perfect.
Please note I will not take any responsibility for any damage you may cause to your vehicle by doing this repair.
<!--[endif]-->

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 18,502
  • Pic 2.JPG
    Pic 2.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 9,516
  • Pic 3.JPG
    Pic 3.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 6,011
  • Pic 4.JPG
    Pic 4.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 11,221
  • Pic 5.JPG
    Pic 5.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 5,938
  • Pic 6.JPG
    Pic 6.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 6,215
  • Pic 8.JPG
    Pic 8.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 7,481
  • Pic 9.JPG
    Pic 9.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 7,112

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Good work VSiiCALAIS Should save a few $$$ spent at Holdens.

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
ok, i did that. still no reverse lights! but when i push down on the leaver, about halfway between N and R, they come on. any help please?

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
fixed it. all i had to do was take the top screw out, and push the changer towards the gear stick and tighten the bottom one.

must be a dodgy connection...

wilsonian88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Champiooon, not only do my lights work, but the old girl doesnt struggle to start now either