Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to replace climate control buttons

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
remove radio (make sure ya have pin code)
remover suraound around radio/controls/dash
4 screws hold in climate control
replace controls
and put it all back together
not hard but not easy
if ya have no idea dont try it

ascension24

Reaction score
I had to remove the complete dash out of my last car to change the heater core, so this shouldnt be too much of a problem. I just dont have the workshop manual so not sure how to go about it.

Okai heres a pic i found, not my car but same.
http://images.carsales.com.au/private/1352778.jpg
First, how do you remove the radio?
When you say remove the surround raio/control/dash do you mean the whole wood grain bit?

Thanks for help.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

ascension24

Reaction score
Okai, thanks. but now once the radio is out how do I get the surrounding dash out?

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Once the radio is out I think you need to take the screws out from the surrounding panel that goes around the transmission. They should be at the back behind the rubber mat directly under the ash tray/change holder.

Prise the panel upwards. It may take SOME force to do this (I know mine did) and then unplug the power window controls.

Beyond that all you have to do is take out the screws around the surrounding panel. If I remember correctly there are 7 screws not including the 2 screws taken out for the lower surround panel.

The rest of the surrounding panel is held in by clips with release when pulled upon GENTLY.

The climate control unit itself is secured by a total of 3 screws. Take them out and unplug the 2 sockets at the rear.

Unscrew the back of the climate control unit, disassemble and replace the button that is broken
-= OR =-
replace the unit with another one from the same model. Calais and Berlina are different (if you didn't already know).

Hope that helps

ascension24

Reaction score
Okai thanks heaps, should be easy to do now.

Last question, you said the calais and berlina ones are different? how so?

If i am replacing just the buttons at the front does it matter where it comes from? or are the buttons different aswell?

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
The climate control head unit is the same.....:whistling

Only difference being the Berlina has single zone climate control and the Calais has dual zone climate control........

Good luck;)

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
If you are replacing just the buttons then you will have no problems at all

At least that way you can get rid of the MIN and MAX part!!! I would love to do that.

A

AJH

Climate control

i tried to do what your doing on my berlina after all the lights died in it. i read a guide of the net....pretty straight forward, like the others have mentioned above, but it takes a while and gets frustrating. you have be so careful when taking the buttons out, some have little plastics rods that push circuit from the button while others dont. i screwed up as i was unaware of these little rods when i opened the unit up and they went flying evrywhere. no demister during the first few weeks of winter was fun.
after that it was never the same, eg it would turn off when i started the car and turned on when you turned the car off. even though i didnt damage the unit itself.
so i had spend a 150 on a new unit (second hand), and 100 for labour for holden to put it in properly.
the only good thing is i got a calais climate control in my berlina so now i have dual zone, and its does work.
my advice is spend the 100 dollars and know its done properly.