Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to replace front anti-roll bar links VN-VS

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
This is applicable to VN-VS, although VT and early VX are similar.

These links were introduced on VN and are the 'factory take’ on what was a common aftermarket modification with the similar front suspension (VN-VP) on VB-VL Commodores.

There are three common failure modes:

1) A nut or the link pulls or pushes through one of the washers.

2) The bushes split or squash.

3) The large cupped washer on the top of the bracket on the strut wears and the locating spigot separates from the rest of the washer.

The symptom is usually a 'clunk' when turning or a rattle over bumps. A visual inspection may not be sufficient if the bushes are just squashed. A check is that they should not be easily rotated when installed.

Often early failure is caused by incorrect installation and some people have had difficulty in installing them in the past (mostly by trying to do one side at a time), hence a 'How To'.

Required:

Jack, chassis stands, 14mm open ended spanner, ~6" shifting spanner and a 13mm ring-open end spanner, or a 13mm 3/8" drive socket and ratchet, swivel and ~6" extension.

Step 1:

Remove the wheel trims (if applicable), loosen the wheel nuts, lift the front of the car, support it on axle stands under the chassis rails and remove the wheels.

Step 2:

Remove the nuts (2) from each of the old links using the 14mm open end. To stop the link from rotating, hold the flat (most) or the hex (some aftermarket) on the link with the shifter.

I find this easiest with the handle of the shifter aligned with ARB lever arm. One hand can then hold both the shifter and ARB lever arm and you can use the ARB for support. This will mean that you will need to be a bit ambidextrous and swap the hands holding the spanner and shifter between each side.

Remove the links, washers and bushes. You may have to turn the wheels to do this.

Step 3:

Remove the ARB from the saddle clamps in front of the engine subframe using the 13mm ring open end or 3/8' drive socket. Support it on another two axle stands (or use a mate to help or whatever works for you). The rear most bolts do not have to be removed entirely and it's easier if they are left in place. (The open slot on the saddle clamps should face the rear).

This is the step most people omit. It is necessary to ensure that the lever arms of the ARB can be perpendicular to the links thus avoiding twisting the link bushes during installation.

Step 4:

Arrange the new link assemblies in the correct order. For a genuine kit, top to bottom, this will be:

Upper: nut/small washer/bush/large cupped washer/bracket on strut/bush/small washer.

Lower: small washer/bush/ARB/bush/small washer/nut.

Each of the small washers should have the cup facing away from the bush so that it can move relative to the bush. (Some people turn them over in an attempt to prevent the bushes squeezing out of position - this only makes it worse).

Clean the mounting surfaces of the link bracket on the strut and, most importantly, the ARB. This avoids any dirt hastening the erosion of the large cupped washer, the cause of failure 3).

Install the top assembly completely of both of the links.

Position the ARB (by adjusting the height of the axle stands, or mate or whatever) so that, with the link ends of the ARB at installed height, the ARB lever arms are parallel to the sill of the car (not necessarily the ground) . This also means that the lever arms are perpendicular to the links. This is so the bushes are not pushed out of the cups in the ARB during installation because of angularity between the link and the ARB.

Install the lower assembly of the links. For both top and bottom the nuts should be tightened until you feel the torque required increase slightly. This should result in about ~15mm thread sticking out past the nut on the top and ~10mm thread sticking out past the nut on the bottom. (The difference is the thickness of the ARB vs the bracket of the strut).

Step 5:

Refit the ARB saddle clamps. Slide back of the clamps in first, finger tighten all of the bolts, tighten the front bolts, then the rear.

Step 6:

Refit the wheels, tighten the wheel nuts as best can be done with the car raised, lower the car and tighten the wheel nuts fully. Wheel trims on if necessary. Done.

Last edited:

CHOPSY.P

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
so im assuming this is about the front swaybar link kits?

Taranaki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
I have a 1997 VS and 14 mm spanner did not fit. I had to use 9/16 inch (14.3 mm)
Here is my version just to change lower washers:

Make sure vehicle is on level ground, so torsion bar is not loaded.
If you are only replacing the four washers on the swaybar, you do not
need to remove the wheels. If you are replacing the upper washers on
the McPherson strut, it would be pretty awkward with wheel in the way.
I have found that the two washers above the swaybar get chewed up
before the others.
If you have country pack or ute suspension, you probably have enough
height to work. If you have lowered suspension, some boards under the
front wheels would be needed to raise vehicle a few cm.
Put vice grip pliers on the stud. Make sure it resists against the
McPherson strut not the brake lines when you undo the nut.
There are flat spots on the stud for an adjustable spanner, but
I found the vice grips better, so you do not need both hands.
Spray a little WD40 on the nut, as it will be quite tight.
You need a 9/16" fixed ring spanner to get started because of the
concave washer. Once you have undone it a few turns, you can finish
with a rachet ring spanner or small socket spanner.
Note the orientation of the metal washers so you put them back the same way.
When both nuts are off, the swaybar will drop.
Remove old rubber washer.
Put the concave washer and a new rubber washer on the stud with the
chamfer facing down. Bend a paper clip open and push it onto the stud
to hold up the washers until you get the swapbar on.
Probably the studs will not line up with the hole in the end of the
swaybar. You can wedge something between the stud and McPherson strut
to align one stud, then juggle the other one as you lift the swaybar.
Put new rubber washer on with chamfer facing up and the metal washer.
Remove the paper clip and tighten the nut. You will need to finish
with the fixed ring spanner and vice grips pliers. If the vehicle is not
level, then you will find one side of the swaybar is hard to get on.
You might need to jack up the opposite wheel in this case.
Otherwise loosen the bush saddles, but one of the saddle bolts is a pain
to tighten, as other stuff is in the way.

Jason05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6 Sportswagon
So they can be fully tightened while car is still off the ground? First time doing it so just making sure. Thanks heaps for this write up

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the car is not lowered you can do them with the car on the ground and it's best to tighten them with the weight of the vehicle on the ground anyway

Jason05

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the car is not lowered you can do them with the car on the ground and it's best to tighten them with the weight of the vehicle on the ground anyway
Okay so do as above but leave the wheels on? It’s not difficult like that? Getting to the tops anyway

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Okay so do as above but leave the wheels on? It’s not difficult like that? Getting to the tops anyway
I left all four wheels on the ground and changed mine. I couldn't be bothered getting out the jack and stands. Might be tricky if your bus is lowered. Ratchet spanners make the top nuts easier.

Jason05

Reaction score
Members Ride
I left all four wheels on the ground and changed mine. I couldn't be bothered getting out the jack and stands. Might be tricky if your bus is lowered. Ratchet spanners make the top nuts easier.
Nah mines not lowered, I’ll give it a try as I can’t be bothered removing the wheels either I’ll use ratchet spanners for sure. Cheers