Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to replace headgasket v6

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
If anyone needs or wants a HOW TO replace driver side headgasket on a series 2 v6 stay tuned and ill post afew pics up later tonight as i will be doing the job this arvo

victtor

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
HI yes id like to see step by step article on this as i want to pull my heads get them ported
thanks
victtor

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Due to faulty camera photos didnt turn out, anyways

tools needed 3/8mm spanner,10mm socket, 1/2mm socket,16mm socket,15mm spanner,9/16mm long socket,Talk wrench,
19mm spanner,Flat head screwdriver

Start with disconnecting the battery and using a 19mm spanner on the tenchen pully release the drive belt
Un do the bottom radiator hose letting all coolant drain
using 10mm and 1/2mm start un-bolting the alternater (Will need 1/2mm to remove nut holding wires on)
disconnect the injector wireing harness and move it away from inlet manifold
Reaching around the back of the throttle body disconnect the 2 wiring connecters(TPS and IAC)also remove the breather hose that pushes onto the back on the throttlebody (goes to MAP sensor)
from drivers side remove the 2 little vacume hoses that goto the throttle body
using 1/2mm socket and 14mm socket unbolt the headderpipes both sides of the motor
Remove spark plugs 16mm long socket

The power steering pump hose that bolts to the back on the pump unbolt that (16mm)
Using a 15mm socket/spanner unbolt the the housing at the front of the motor where the pump bolts onto should be 3 15mm bolts, 1 will be holding the power steering hose and the water pump pipe with another bolt behind them,
passanger side unbolt the housing the coil pack sits on using a 15mm spanner/socket on Some series 2 and most vp commodores 1 bolt will hold the dipstick in place

using a 1/2 socket unbolt the thermostat housing,using a 3/8mm spanner start undoign all the inlet manifold bolts (note:there are some behind the inlet manifold and 1 under the thermostat housing)
after you have unbolted them using a strong grip hold thebck of the inlet manifold and pullit up will be hard to move as you need to break the gasket seal.
Try not to drop coolant into the vally but somtimes it happens
Now unbolt the tappet covers using 3/8 spanner/socket
usign a 14mm or 9/16 socket remove the tappets take not what order they are removed
now you will ahve free access to the push-rods remove them gently pullingthem straight out,

using a 14mm or 9/16 socket crack the 4 head bolts you can see in the head where the tappets where,
Now just under where the headder pipes botl to the head there will be another 4 bolts to crack.
After all 8bolts (per side) are removed Rember what order they are removed .with a strong grip or with help of a friend lift the head off of the bolt DO NOT DROP IT!(unless you have another headto go on)
Key notes to rember When reinstalling the heads using loc-tite 242 ithink it is or ask your local repco for the correct loctite for head bolts
Replace the head bolts if they are rusted
ALWAYS use NEW gaskets when re installing
IF you are to use the same heads i will highly advise you on gettingthe heads shaven pressure tested etc or you will be wasting time as the heads have a common problem with warping over the age ofthe motor
Be patient and take your time
Thats the finish ,If i have missed anything i will try and add it later unless someone beats me to it

Denso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss commodore
i think u missed how to put the head back on.......:hmmm:

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Sorry kinda thought most peoplewould relise install is the same as the removeal , with EXTRA notes to Heads bolts should be tighten to just firm then further tighten to 81nm
Tappets should be tighten to 44nm
best way to tighten head bolts
5 1 3 8
7 4 2 6
-------------------------------------------
After you have re installed everything double check to make sure all coolant lines are connected and tighten correctly then fill radiator with coolant and blled the cooling system
run car for approx 15min, let cool for 1hour then check compression on each cyl using a compression tester, Standed rating should be arounf 150psi per cyl

andrews

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II V6
You haven't mentioned taking the exhaust manifolds off, I am having a hard time getting the lower head bolts to slide out as I cant get the exhaust manifold out of the way. Is i just a mater of force to get the exhaust manifolds out of the way after they have been unbolted?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yeah it's a bit of swearing and holding your tongue in just the right way to get the exhaust manifolds off.

You may find it easier to remove 1 manifold completely, leave the 2nd still attached to the exhaust pipe and once the studs on the head are removed you can push it down out of the way (might even be possible to leave both manifolds connected to the exhaust... i forget, it's been a while, i know i left at least 1 manifold still on the Y pipe) .

nateshashone

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr belina
the headbolts are stretch bolts , so you need to get new ones when putting the heads back on

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 2, v6 5-speed, LPG
With 472k on the clock i've been wondering how long it'll be before i have a gasket go. Thanks for the write up mate, that's great