Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining - Very detailed

COINERS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY.10
Ok so my project was changing the head liners in my car. And colour coding the sun visors and handles on the roof… Was over all very worth while as I got to customize the fabric to the colour I wanted and as im planing on doing up my cabin a bit. This was a great place to start…

As you can see it got to the point where I could no longer just use pins to keep the fabric up…
1a.jpg

Ok so first I went to spot light and found some fabric that I liked. As you can see in the photo took me about a hour to find something I liked. Hence the massive amount of fabric spot light offers.
1.jpg

Ok so what I did

1) Unscrew the roof handles. And Sun visors and roof light. So as you can see. Pretty much the fabric just fell from the roof once I unscrewed the handles and sun visors.
3a.jpg

3.jpg

2)Untuck the cardboard from around all the trims. This took me a while as I didn’t want to mess up the cardboard. But take your time so you don’t snap clips and trims

3)To get the roof out of the car. I slightly rolled it and took it out of the front passengers door.
4.jpg

4)Place cardboard on ground and scrap and scrub the yucky orange foam off. I used a wire bush and a paint scraper. Took me maybe 30 mins to get it perfect.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

5)Once clean I put contact adhesive on the board and placed some new foam.
8.jpg

6)Then I stapled the **** outta it to ensure it was going to stick
9.jpg

7)Once I trimmed it all down. I sprayed the material and the foam with spray adhesive
8)Waited 5 mins for both sides to become sticky then bonded both together… then got a clean paint roller and smoothed it out
10.jpg

9)Then stapled the left over material to the back of the board
11.jpg

10)Then cut out the holes for the roof light and roof handles
12.jpg

Then reinstall it back in the car. Was a pain in the arse but with 2 people putting it back in the car will prob take around half a hour. Hardest past is lining up all the screws with screw holes. Don’t do this on a hot sticky day. I did and I wanted to kill my self.
myroof.jpg

Over all think it looks great and was worth all the effort

Colour coding Sun visors and roof handles.

1.I got a can of VHT vinyl die and a tin of wax and grease remover.
1a-1.jpg

2.Gave the sun visors and handles a good clean with wax and grease remover then hanged them up on some coat hangers

3.gave them about 3 or 4 light sprays

4.Screw back in to roof.

4-1.jpg

3a-1.jpg

OK guys I hope that helped you all out.

Last edited:

flat6

Reaction score
Nice work, looks heaps better than before

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
vslll v6 2000 olympic series ute, 1997 pajero 3.5l
Looks very tidy, i am lookin at replacing the headlining in the ute now i know what im in for cheers.

Bungle

Bungle
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2, VZ Exec
Great info Coiners.. Im gonna give it a go on the wifes VP, go hot pink and try to emboss a heart with flames and maybe LEDs, just wasn't sure about how to go about getting roof in and out..
Thanks for the tips..

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
this has to be the best write up for removing and fixing a head liner in a vn/vp. i just took mine out tonight and ill be starting to work on it 2moro. top write up mate!

-George

Peasant

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual Black
I done mine last week. Came up awesome. I used white vinyl. Cost me about $60 for the whole job. Done the door trims too.

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 10,063
  • roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 20,432

matt_pow1

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Just wondering if anyone had done this on their VS - if so is it exactly the same? I presume it would be but just want to make sure before i attempt it

gasman

GASMAN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE S1 V6
**** of a job

i did mine last year didnt replace the foam used old lining but cumming off again ill try your method now thnks it is a **** to get those bstrds out i know

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yeah ive got to do mine in the VS, gives me the irrits, i wouldnt mind changing the entire interior toa red kind of color to match the exterior paint, but that would be allot of trouble lets sum it up.

Carpet on floor,
Front and rear seats.
Roof lining
Material on door trims.
Vinyl on doors, dash, center console, plastics throughout the interior.

A job i would only tackle if i had a complete interior from another VS to use, which gives me an idea.