Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Replace Oxygen Sensors/O2 Sensors

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
Hi,

I currently own a 2001 Holden Commodore VX Sedan. Took it in for a service this afternoon (28/03/14). I was told that one of my O2 sensors isn't as responsive as the other one (There are only two apparently). I was quoted $120 per sensor, however I was advised that I should get both done otherwise they will be out of sync.

As I want to save a bit of money, I'd rather attempt to replace them myself, plus I can get both sensors for roughly $80 (For both sensors, not each)
I was told by someone that they aren't too hard to replace, and may only take about 5 minutes each to replace (Give or take).

I'm just wondering whether anyone can provide me a step-by-step list of instructions on how to replace the oxygen sensor on my particular Holden. I also need to know where sensors are located (On Exhaust?). I've tried searching for this information to no avail, hence why I'm wondering whether someone can help me out.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
James.D

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
they are on the exhaust... .. underneath is best

they both are different both sides (different length wires ..no to be swapped)

just depends how long they have been on the pipe as to how easy they are to undo

good luck

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Put car on stands/ramps, unclip wiring harness about 30cm up from sensors. Use spanner and unscrew. Screw new sensor in and tighten. Clip wiring in. Done. Beer time. Its that easy.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I would advise against buying $40 oxygen sensors, unless they are a well known brand and you are getting them really cheap. Cheap ebay sensors will most likely not last long, from my experience anyway.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I replaced my o2's a while ago.
Got them from Repco for around $40 each, while Holden wanted $80 each.
Haven't had any trouble, but yes, watch out for ebay ones as accentstencil advises

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Please don't buy cheap O2 sensors, as they will fail and will cause you to burn more fuel. Getting both from holden should run you about $95 each. I got quoted $200 inc postage from Windsor Holden on eBay. As described earlier they are easy to change, you'll just need a set of spanners and ramps or stands. Also check your sensors first, you'll most likely need the TWO wire O2 sensors, as opposed to the often sold 4 wire ones.

I replaced my o2's a while ago.
Got them from Repco for around $40 each, while Holden wanted $80 each.
Haven't had any trouble, but yes, watch out for ebay ones as accentstencil advises

Can I ask what brand? I'm sure some are decent, just not the generic eBay ones.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Can I ask what brand? I'm sure some are decent, just not the generic eBay ones.
Yes you can ask.....but sorry, I don't remember the brand.
Though I'm sure they were Australian made.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
First thing find out hat type you need slide under there and suss out the connector see if it 2 or 4 wire, order a known brand like, NTK (NGK), Borg Warner, Bosch, all are around $50-$60ea delivered, do not touch the 3 letter brand name starting with P and has a Australia symbol on the green/black box they are ****.