Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Replace Oxygen Sensors/O2 Sensors

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
Thanks guys

I'll attempt to do it myself, if not I'm sure I can find someone else to do it. I was quoted $61.50 for NTK O2 Sensors from Repco (Which to my knowledge are meant to be good?)

Cheers guys.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
I`ve got one NTK on my V8 and it fixed the issue (black smoke) immediately and has been in for 12 months all good, (should last 80k)

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I currently own a 2001 Holden Commodore VX Sedan. Took it in for a service this afternoon (28/03/14). I was told that one of my O2 sensors isn't as responsive as the other one (There are only two apparently). I was quoted $120 per sensor, however I was advised that I should get both done otherwise they will be out of sync.

A couple of questions.

How do techs determine that one O2 sensor's a dud and not as responsive as the other?

And if one bank of cylinders is running too rich or too lean...would that make the O2 sensor on that side appear lazy because it was locked to one end of the voltage scale?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
A couple of questions.

How do techs determine that one O2 sensor's a dud and not as responsive as the other?

And if one bank of cylinders is running too rich or too lean...would that make the O2 sensor on that side appear lazy because it was locked to one end of the voltage scale?

The mechanic I have been using showed me that one of the 02 sensors on my VX SS is a bit slow to react to a change in throttle settings, the tuning tool he had hooked up (I think it may have been VCM suite) showed both sensors as a graph running across the display screen on the unit he had hooked up, at a steady throttle both graphs looked the same but when the revs were dropped or increased one of the graphs reacted a lot faster than the other, so I assume that is how they tell one is a bit on the lazy side, I got quoted approx $200 plus fitiing, car is running fine no dash lights or anything, maybe it is using a tad more fuel around town, been a bit hesitant to spend the cash for maybe no improvement.

BoostedDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8
The mechanic I have been using showed me that one of the 02 sensors on my VX SS is a bit slow to react to a change in throttle settings, the tuning tool he had hooked up (I think it may have been VCM suite) showed both sensors as a graph running across the display screen on the unit he had hooked up, at a steady throttle both graphs looked the same but when the revs were dropped or increased one of the graphs reacted a lot faster than the other, so I assume that is how they tell one is a bit on the lazy side, I got quoted approx $200 plus fitiing, car is running fine no dash lights or anything, maybe it is using a tad more fuel around town, been a bit hesitant to spend the cash for maybe no improvement.

Just do it yourself, it's pretty much the same level of knowledge required to change your engine oil. As per above though, don't skimp on parts, otherwise you will end up paying twice..

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

Nathan kenny

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs commodore
I have a 96 vs commie can someone tell me wat size spanner on the 02 sensors I have to change both of mine

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
from memory it's either 17 or 19 but stuck your head under and try see what fits