Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Replace Radius Rod Bushes VT / VZ

colin10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My Car had the washer on the right hand side only, so I called up the Nolathan Tech hotline and asked about the Washer. Now I’m not up to speed about the whole Caster setting thing, but the person on the phone said, that the caster on both wheel should not be exactly the same. He said the left hand wheel should be slightly forward to the right one that why the washer is there. He did say NOT to put the original washer back in, and I should take it for a wheel alignment. I called up Pedders and told them what I had done, and they said they can do a wheel alignment with a caster adjustment for $88, so i booked it in for tomorrow.

I also changed the lower control arm bush(pressed in one). I noticed Supercheap had a Machine press for $99 and it got the bushes out in about 10 minutes.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
He did say NOT to put the original washer back in

According to the workshop manual, the VZ has the extra washer installed on the right hand side bush only. If your suspension is standard, then this washer should have been refitted exactly where it was removed from.

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
There seems to be an argument about a "factory" washer being in the drivers side radius rod bush. This is to offset the castor settings between the left and right side.

I believe the tech guy was right in saying to NOT replace the "factory" washer in the new setup for the Nolanthene bushes.
The kit is completely adjustable. Refer to post #9 in this thread for the list

What you do need to do is offset the passenger side wheel so it sits FORWARD of the driver's side wheel. Do not exceed 1 degree difference as a tolerance
this helps with the gradient of the road and will keep you tyres driving straight. If you have the exact same setting both wheels, it will pull to the left

Refer to post #9 for list of settings

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
I have noted that some of the Nolathane bush kits do come with various spacers used to adjust the caster setting, however I don't think all bush kits are provided with them. If the kit does not have these spacers provided and your suspension is standard, then the original spacer will need to be refitted to the drivers side only, to maintain the correct caster setting on the drivers side as opposed to the passenger side caster setting - as you have noted.

I was merely pointing out that the factory setup has a flat washer only on the drivers side radius rod, however this may possibly be omitted if other caster adjustment spacers are provided in lieu, with the bush kit being fitted.

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
Is it neccessary to torque up all nuts or can you get away with simply tightening them up as tight as you can?

be careful when replacing those 4 little bolts on the caster bush plate, i replaced mine 4 months ago and i didnt what alot of people do, tighten without torqueing to correct tightness and snapped 2 of the 4 bolts off the drivers side. Spoke to a few people on fixing issue as they are pressed in to the K frame. Holden said its a new K frame to fix issue $1000 for the part!. But i went the way of bashing the crap out of it with a hammer and steel chisel, 2 hours each bolt before they came loose! lol...now just have a high tensile bolt going thru hole, works fine.

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hey , I know this is a old thread but I used it to replace the castor bush's on my vz sv6 , the car was stock when i bought it and i have put king springs in and it is now sitting on ve gts 20's ...when I changed the old bush's I noticed I had the extra original washer on the drivers side .... I left it in there and just used the instructions in my nolathane kit to set the new bush's up as standard adjustment , I have to take car for a wheel alignment tomorrow as no one is open today ... Should I of taken that washer out or did I do the right thing by leaving it in there ???

scott calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
did this on the weekend. my car was shuddereing on long gentle braking. ie just easing speed back on long hills. once the steering wheel started shaking, if was off to repco for nolathane kits ( did sway linkages too).

A few points for us novices on the install.
1. removing front bumper helps. there are a few more screws than the picture on page 1 shows. 2 under number plate.
2. Turn full left lock to remove right side, the full right lock to fit new bushes. makes it a lot easier and is one of those things i didnt think about until i saw how little space there was to slide the bush over the radius arm...
3. the lower radiator hose rubs hard on the new plate. probably worth trying to remember to keep an eye on this down the track.
4. i'd have loved the torque settings for the install.
5. pretty simple job overall
6. perfect handling / braking afterwards. wheel alignment nevertheless. data showed only toe in was adjusted, though the before and after were "in the green"

thanks for the initial write up.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
did this on the weekend. my car was shuddereing on long gentle braking. ie just easing speed back on long hills. once the steering wheel started shaking, if was off to repco for nolathane kits ( did sway linkages too).

A few points for us novices on the install.
1. removing front bumper helps. there are a few more screws than the picture on page 1 shows. 2 under number plate.
2. Turn full left lock to remove right side, the full right lock to fit new bushes. makes it a lot easier and is one of those things i didnt think about until i saw how little space there was to slide the bush over the radius arm...
3. the lower radiator hose rubs hard on the new plate. probably worth trying to remember to keep an eye on this down the track.
4. i'd have loved the torque settings for the install.
5. pretty simple job overall
6. perfect handling / braking afterwards. wheel alignment nevertheless. data showed only toe in was adjusted, though the before and after were "in the green"

thanks for the initial write up.

Torque for large centre bolt is 140-155nm
Smaller bolts 25-40nm

from memory

Last edited:

scott calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Probably don't want to check now that wheel alignments done . I reckon I did it close enough too 100ft/lbs. I should get a metric tool one day !!