Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How to replace the front struts.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Yeah same, just a socket on it while the car is down just to loosen it. It was quite easy, considering it had never been removed.

Then once the strut was out, just use a ring spanner to undo the nut holding the strut top, while using an impact socket (10mm from memory) to hold the small nut (which is the shock shaft) and really, that is quite easy to do as well. MAKE SURE YOUR SPRING IS COMPRESSED WHILE DOING THIS STEP!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
what is the torque spec for the 3 ball joint bolts? roadsafe are renown as Australia's best ball joint maker and supplier so i am very surprised you had trouble.

That said, I am in the process of doing this and too have roadsafe joints. I questioned the bolts also. I might look at getting them riveted to factory specs.

The other question I have is which way does the strut top plate drain hole face in relation to the strut. When I took apart mine which is all factory original the drain holes were facing outward toward the hubs. That seem illogical as that is uphill at the angle the strut sits.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
Problem solved with genuine TRW joints I sourced from Germany, milled out on a milling machine to take snugly, grade 8 UNF 3/8" bolts with grade 8 cone lock nuts torqued to 60 Nm

Half the problem with the aftermarket joints are they are too thick to conform to the arms when bolted together, 2ndly they are all over the shop with flatness and inconsistent thickness. Basically they dont mate flat with arms when bolted, where the TRW do, thus friction between the surfaces take the dynamic loading as appose to the bolts taking most of the load in the **** aftermarket joints.

I make that jig to be able to mill the holes dead accurate and perpendicular to the mating surface so the bolt heads don't get stressed as they would on an un-straight surface.

IMG_1110_zpsf7fcd1f2.jpg

IMG_1136_zps9d76f544.jpg

IMG_1142_zps420ef7fd.jpg

Last edited: