Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to replace VT Manual Window Regulator

deslexia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Can someone please tell me how to detatch the window from the manual regulator..?
Help Please...?

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Drill out the rivets holding the regulator in place and then slide the regulator off of the window runners.
Installation is reverse basically but is easier with 2 people.
Holden sells the replacement rivets or you can use the replacement nuts and bolts.

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
this sounds really easy. i might have a crack this weekend. im wondering how much of a hassle it will be to fit though. im guessing lining up the runners with the regulator arm clips will be the hardest bit. i think a second person to help holding the window will help a bunch.

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
didnt turn out to be too hard. some tips i can think of are use 5mm bolts and nuts is ok instead of rivets. its just a little tricky to get some of the nuts on. do them up tight. u need a 10mm socket for the guide rail. bolt this on second i think.remove the regulator arms and also put them back in with the window about 3/4 of the way up, and have the winder handle close to get the regulater back down to the right place. you can also move it around a bit with the window to line up the bolt holes. bolt the 4 bolts to the regulator last. its easy enough to do with one person.
sorry its a bit out of order, but its just a few tips, not the whole exact process.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Also good to lube the runners in the base of the glass with some grease.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
I don't think I've ever installed a manual regulator... just electric ones. Removed plenty of manual ones though :p

I do the same thing I wind the motor to where the bolt holes line up while someone holds the window. On the rears it's easy to do yourself a 4 year old could do the rears.

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
i might pull the trim off again and get out the lube :)
(front door not back door) ;)

maybee the manual regulator would be a little harder to get in because of the big knob

:D

smokeman818

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1
Definatley easier with two people. I did my front ones yesterday. I had to cut my dynomat off the access holes haha. Any way drill off the top off the 4 rivets holding the bracket to to the door. I used 4.5 mm bolts to hold the new ones back on. The regs I bought off eBay came with the runners. Undo the the other two bolts holding the other runner off. Make sure the window is near the bottom. Push the window winder bit through the hole and then slide the runners off the bottom window. Putting the new mech is an exact reversal. Having two people will make things easier. Make sure to put plenty of grease on the runner section!!! Can never have to much

I hope this helps you

Smokeman

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
its a lot easier to get a manual regulator out with the window 1/4 down. stops any chance of scratching the window etc.
only because of the winder knob.
short m5 (5mm) bolts are probly just easier to get (every bunnings, even big w).
dont hesitate to do it on your own. its only for window holding purposes u can use a second person. then u have to deal with stuff like talking to the helper and all that rubbish. easier on your own imo

Nom Fitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S 1996 standard
Thank you for all the tips. Time for me to have a go