Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Replace VZ Calais Volume Controls

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Disconnecting battery is to ensure the airbag isnt live while removing it.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
hmm ... good point also !!!

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Remember, the airbag has an inbuilt battery (so when you crash and tear out the battery, it can still deploy), so remember to take off the battery, and then leave it to sit for 10-20 mins before yanking it off..

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thanks guys!
Really do appreciate it. But due to being so busy and not the best when it comes to being a handyman Iv gotta get someone to do it.
Thanks Torquative for offering :)

Id be happy to give someone 50 for the replace. Anybody who wants to come to Manly, NSW let me know. Ill probably get it fixed within the next month or so otherwise :)

Thanks everyone!

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
What happened, did one of your buttons on the right side just break ? That happened to me, i just got another set of buttons, seperated the cover of the new buttons and the old ones and then clipped the new cover on - if that makes sense, didnt need to remove them from the steering wheel... that was after airbag removal of course.

If you look closely at your new set you should see on the inside where the top cover of the buttons can unclip, 2 joints if i remember

I could help, but i dont have the tool to remove the airbag anymore, and i suck with a screwdriver at trying to get the bag off

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Remember, the airbag has an inbuilt battery (so when you crash and tear out the battery, it can still deploy), so remember to take off the battery, and then leave it to sit for 10-20 mins before yanking it off..

Not a battery as such but yes it does hold charge in capacitor/s but 5 mins should be sufficient to discharge.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
What happened, did one of your buttons on the right side just break ? That happened to me, i just got another set of buttons, seperated the cover of the new buttons and the old ones and then clipped the new cover on - if that makes sense, didnt need to remove them from the steering wheel... that was after airbag removal of course.

If you look closely at your new set you should see on the inside where the top cover of the buttons can unclip, 2 joints if i remember

I could help, but i dont have the tool to remove the airbag anymore, and i suck with a screwdriver at trying to get the bag off

If youre paying for a new set of buttons you may as well use them, not just the covers, as the switches wear out over time as well. That and you risk breaking the buttons removing them.

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
If youre paying for a new set of buttons you may as well use them, not just the covers, as the switches wear out over time as well. That and you risk breaking the buttons removing them.

depends but, if you have an aftermarket stereo like me, then you will never use those buttons and just have them sitting nice and pretty never to break again cuz theyre not used... but u do have a point

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I was under the impression you could get kits to enable to use of the buttons on some aftermarket decks?

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V

hey man... yeah the damn +vol button broke off inside. iv just made a temporary fix and glued the button sorta back into position so it works, but is loose at the same time.
I have already got the new spare part, just need to install it. Ill do it when the glue stops doing its job... which will probabaly happen over summer lol

I appreciate your help and thanks for the offer... Im not that fussed, and dont feel comfortable working around the airbag so Ill just pay the going rate to get it changed over :)

cheers!