Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to replace windscreen motor

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
vslll v6 2000 olympic series ute, 1997 pajero 3.5l
hey ppl i thought i might try and put something up here that no one has done yet that i know of anyway and since the utes windscreen motor packed it in and it was due for rego i thought i might do a how to on this so here we go.

Tools you will need:
flathead screw driver to get the clips off the plastic.
A 5/16 ring spanner to get the 3 screws off that hold the motor bracket on.
A 21mm spanner for the plastic nuts.

ok first start by taking off the wiper arms also take off the plastic nuts that are under the arms, do this with the 21mm spanner see pic...plastic nut

then take off the 5 little clips that are along the top lip of the plastic under the winder they were a bit difficult to get off but a small flathead screw driver done the trick see pic...clips

then pull the rubber lining off the plastic that runs from 1 side to another but be gentle because you can break the plastic cover see pic.... rubber strip.

then once you have done that take the plastic cover off this is easy if there are 2 ppl but if you are by yourself then it is a bit of a pain, i dont think there is any trick to getting it off just try and work it from the bottom and twist it out.

then take out the three screws that hold the motor bracket on this can be done with the 5/16 spanner also unplug the connector from the motor see pic...wiper motor22

then if u are just changing the motor there are 3 bolts on the bottom side of the bracket just take them out and then take the main arm of the motor that is joined by a ball joint then replace the new motor, this can also be seen in pic....wiper motor22

or if you want you can just change the whole lot at once which is what i did, then just follow the steps in reverse to put it all back together.

I hope you enjoy it and if there is something you are not sure about or if i didnt say or explain anything right please tell me, anyway i hope it is ok for my first how-to enjoy :thumbsup:

rubber strip.jpg

plastic nut.jpg

clips.JPG

wiper motor22.jpg

Last edited:

clazzza commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 vr executive wagon
did u put a new wiper motor in or get the old one fixed?,i just pulled mine out and trying 2 work out which will be cheaper

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
Is this for a VP?

Wouldn't mind doing this..Mine has very low pressure :)

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
vslll v6 2000 olympic series ute, 1997 pajero 3.5l
no i just got a second handy from a reckers for about $20 it was pretty cheap so if it happins again i will just go and get another cheap 1 easy to swap over as well

djmenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Holden Commodore Acclaim.
Thanks for this. My VR Wiper motor was fine but the wipers (brackets) shat themselves so a mechanic quoted $300 to replace so I looked at this thread and did it myself. I replaced the wiper bracket and motor together (got from a wreckers for $75). Piece of cake to change and all works like new (except for losing 1 of the 5 clips - no biggie).
This thread was a great help and made the job seem so easy to me when I thought it was going to be difficult to do myself.

Cheers

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
thanks for this man mine were sticking half way up the screen when not on i had a play around after looking at this and they almost right down the bottom

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Thanks for this. My VR Wiper motor was fine but the wipers (brackets) shat themselves so a mechanic quoted $300 to replace so I looked at this thread and did it myself. I replaced the wiper bracket and motor together (got from a wreckers for $75). Piece of cake to change and all works like new (except for losing 1 of the 5 clips - no biggie).
This thread was a great help and made the job seem so easy to me when I thought it was going to be difficult to do myself.

Cheers

Sometimes post digs can be useful: A new wiper linkage was only - if I remember correctly - $40 genuine. You do have to line up the arm on the splines in the same orientation as the old one when swapping the motor across though. Park the wipers before removing the assempbly and take care not to move the linkage when removing it from the car or disassembling it.

Mark the orientation of the arm arm relative to the motor before disassembly and match it back up when assembling with the new piece.

You used to get a little sheet steel jig with the linkage but you can easily make one from card or just mark it with a felt tip or paint pen.

jasonsgirl88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hay everyone, where would be the best place to go to find all parts necessary i don't have a wreckers near me but can send partner out he knows what he is looking for but rarely has the time. besides i wanna do this myself just to prove i can :p.. oh my car is a 96 vs commodore.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
hay everyone, where would be the best place to go to find all parts necessary i don't have a wreckers near me but can send partner out he knows what he is looking for but rarely has the time. besides i wanna do this myself just to prove i can :p.. oh my car is a 96 vs commodore.

try ebay , get it delivered to your door