Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to reset Check Engine Light

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
How do I reset Check Engine Light (CEL) on my wh caprice 2000. It is a Ls1 and I read the codes by a usb code reader and it does not have an option to reset the light. How can I do it manually. Do I have to pull some fuse off or something. I want to clear all pending codes.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I think you need a tech 2 tool to do it.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
unplug battery for 5 minutes, you will need radio pin

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Disconnecting battery doesn't appear to clear pending codes, at least not for me. I was under the impression that after a certain amount of starting cycles the pending codes will clear themselves if they haven't re-occurred but I still keep getting the same pending codes. One of them is misfire cylinder 11 (eleven) which I find confusing for an eight cylinder motor.

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I found out how to clear all the codes stored in the computer and to reset it. I had codes for oil sensor and knock sensors and I fixed them and they were not going away. I also had a broken door lock actuator, which I dissconnected and made it manual which set off a code as well. So these were the codes:
6cf11059 "0327" 3f25 - knock sensor code
6cf11059 "0332" 3ff0 - knock sensor code
6cf11059 "0523" ff38 - oil sensor code
6cf11059 "1626" 1931 - broken door lock
6cf11059 "0000" ff10 - "end of list"

So heres what I did. I started the car and let it reach full operating temperature (should be above 80 C). Then I opened the hood and opened the underhood fuse box. While the car was running and in full temperature I pulled fuse number 4 that has 10A on it and is the "powertrain and body control module" fuse F31. When you are facing the car and look at the fusebox, it is located in the group of small fuses at the bottom end of the fuse box. There are total of 8 fuses there and it is the number 4 fuse from left to right when facing the car/engine bay. So I pulled it while the car was running and warmed up, and it shutdown the car when I pulled the fuse. Then I turned the ignition off and removed the key. Then I put the fuse back and started the car and let it idle for five minutes, and shut it off again and waited 30 seconds to restart it. Finished. It reset the ecu(computer) and cleared all codes. The only codes I got back were the one set immediately by the car when it checked everything. So the only code I got back was P0523 rather than the four previous codes.
So to reset codes:
1.) Start car and let it warm up fully (above 80C)
2.) Remove fuse number 4 (it will shutdown car) and then turn off ignition and remove key.
3.) Put fuse back in and start the car and let it run for five minutes for idle relearn.
4.) Shutdown car after five minutes and let it wait 30 seconds before restart.
5.) Finished the car computer is reset and all codes (Pending and current) are cleared from the computer.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I found out how to clear all the codes stored in the computer and to reset it. I had codes for oil sensor and knock sensors and I fixed them and they were not going away. I also had a broken door lock actuator, which I dissconnected and made it manual which set off a code as well. So these were the codes:
6cf11059 "0327" 3f25 - knock sensor code
6cf11059 "0332" 3ff0 - knock sensor code
6cf11059 "0523" ff38 - oil sensor code
6cf11059 "1626" 1931 - broken door lock
6cf11059 "0000" ff10 - "end of list"

So heres what I did. I started the car and let it reach full operating temperature (should be above 80 C). Then I opened the hood and opened the underhood fuse box. While the car was running and in full temperature I pulled fuse number 4 that has 10A on it and is the "powertrain and body control module" fuse F31. When you are facing the car and look at the fusebox, it is located in the group of small fuses at the bottom end of the fuse box. There are total of 8 fuses there and it is the number 4 fuse from left to right when facing the car/engine bay. So I pulled it while the car was running and warmed up, and it shutdown the car when I pulled the fuse. Then I turned the ignition off and removed the key. Then I put the fuse back and started the car and let it idle for five minutes, and shut it off again and waited 30 seconds to restart it. Finished. It reset the ecu(computer) and cleared all codes. The only codes I got back were the one set immediately by the car when it checked everything. So the only code I got back was P0523 rather than the four previous codes.
So to reset codes:
1.) Start car and let it warm up fully (above 80C)
2.) Remove fuse number 4 (it will shutdown car) and then turn off ignition and remove key.
3.) Put fuse back in and start the car and let it run for five minutes for idle relearn.
4.) Shutdown car after five minutes and let it wait 30 seconds before restart.
5.) Finished the car computer is reset and all codes (Pending and current) are cleared from the computer.

My fuse box layout is different, the 8 fuses are at the top, near the strut tower and the only 10A fuse is No29 "ENG CONT BCM".

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well my car is going like a rocket after the knock sensor codes are gone. Yea accentstencil there are two types of fuse boxes used in this generation. You have the older model, but they are pretty much the same. Yea it is that fuse "Eng cont bcm", it controls the power into the ecu. When you pull that off, the ecu has a huge capacitor which you have to discharge. Thats why removing the battery does not work, because the ecu is still charged up by the capacitor. You have two choices. First of all the temperature has to be above 80C (fully warmed up is 92C). You can either remove the fuse with the car off, and then leave the ignition on for the capacitor to discharge (You will hear a beep from the dash when it is discharged). OR you can do it my way of pulling the fuse while the car is running, my method is a little risky but will immediately discharge the capacitor. Your choice. Don't forget to warm the car up. This will reset the ECU and all the codes once the power runs out and after you reinsert the fuse. I have run my car for two hours and now I am only getting the oil sensor code, all the other codes are gone!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well my car is going like a rocket after the knock sensor codes are gone. Yea accentstencil there are two types of fuse boxes used in this generation. You have the older model, but they are pretty much the same. Yea it is that fuse "Eng cont bcm", it controls the power into the ecu. When you pull that off, the ecu has a huge capacitor which you have to discharge. Thats why removing the battery does not work, because the ecu is still charged up by the capacitor. You have two choices. First of all the temperature has to be above 80C (fully warmed up is 92C). You can either remove the fuse with the car off, and then leave the ignition on for the capacitor to discharge (You will hear a beep from the dash when it is discharged). OR you can do it my way of pulling the fuse while the car is running, my method is a little risky but will immediately discharge the capacitor. Your choice. Don't forget to warm the car up. This will reset the ECU and all the codes once the power runs out and after you reinsert the fuse. I have run my car for two hours and now I am only getting the oil sensor code, all the other codes are gone!
I tried both methods and still have one stored code (P0311 Misfire Detected Cylinder 11) and one pending code (P0711 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance)

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
How many codes you had before? Did the codes decrease or are they the same. Old codes should be wiped out with resetting the ecu, but any current problem will pop right out as the computer checks everything again.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
How many codes you had before? Did the codes decrease or are they the same. Old codes should be wiped out with resetting the ecu, but any current problem will pop right out as the computer checks everything again.

I had the same two codes before resetting. Checked the codes after resetting but before starting the engine again, so the codes could not have been logged again.