Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Reset ECU to Clear Codes

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
What is the correct procedure to clear codes for the VT's?
Am I able to do it without a scantool?

I have heard about removing a fuse and turning ignition on but don't exactly know the correct Fuse and correct way of doing it but by saying that, Does that way actually clear the codes?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You could disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes. That will clear the codes but if you have the stock radio you will need the PIN when you reconnect the battery.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've heard that you can't do it that way on the VT's.... Something about a Capacitor holds charge still even though the Battery is disconnected but i could have heard the wrong thing for the wrong model.

I know for sure that way does work on the VR/VS's

btw It doesn't have Stock Radio, So doesn't apply to this car

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You can disconnect/reconnect the battery or remove/replace fuse F31 to reset Powertrain (engine/trans) codes on VTs. However this method will not reset any codes that have been set in other modules such as the airbag SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module).

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did do it that way and I even left it overnight disconnected and checked codes as soon as I reconnected the battery and the codes did not clear. The codes I am trying to clear is Code 47 and Code 49..... I have fixed the issues that these have caused and the codes will not clear.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
try this is for Vt

1. Make sure engine is at operating temperature (above 80 degrees) - you can check this by going into police mode (hold down Start and Mode buttons together as you start it) and scroll through the menus until you get to the digital temperature readout. Or use the normal temperature gauge, either works

2. Turn off the ignition.

3. Remove the engine management fuse (it's a red 10amp fuse no. 31. It's labelled "BCM")

4. Turn the ignition on. Do NOT try to crank the engine over, just turn it on and wait. After 20-30 seconds you should hear the dash make a chiming sound.

5. Replace the BCM fuse.

6. Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes to let it relearn idle settings etc..

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
47... did you replace the DIS

what did you do to fix code 49
49 Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Intermittent (Received by PCM), Sensor Fault, Wiring or Connector, Note Does NOT illuminate the Powertrain Checklight

its old (your signature )
Just Commodores - For All Your Holden Commodore Needs

you need a better reference..... its in this forum somewhere

44 Oxygen Sensor (Right Bank) Signal Indicates Too Lean Sensor Faulty, Wiring or Connector Mechanical Problem
45 Oxygen Sensor (Right Bank) Signal Indicates Too Rich Sensor Faulty, Wiring or Connector Mechanical Problem
46 Direct Ignition System No Crankshaft Reference Signal (Received by PCM when Engine cranks) DIS Module Problem, Wiring or Connector (DIS Module Terminal D to PCM Terminal #D12)
47 Direct Ignition System / Crankshaft Position Sensor Missing 18X Signal, DIS Module,
Crankshaft Position Sensor, Wiring or Connector, Note Does NOT illuminate the Powertrain Checklight
48 Camshaft Position Sensor No Signal (Received by PCM) Sensor Fault, Wiring or Connector, Note Does NOT illuminate the Powertrain Checklight
49 Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Intermittent (Received by PCM), Sensor Fault, Wiring or Connector, Note Does NOT illuminate the Powertrain Checklight
51 PCM PROM Error Code, PROM Module, PCM Module

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
DIS.... basically replaced everything. What I was getting was stalling issues so I replaced the Cam Position Sensor and Crank Angle Sensor first and stalling still continued so I then went onto Spark Plugs, Ignition Module, Coils x3 and Leads (As most of these have never been replaced before besides the Spark Plugs).

I fixed the Stalling issue but now I am getting a slight Misfire when motor is cold and hot. So I want to reset the ECU to see if anything changes.

But seeing your list of Code 49 with Cam Position Sensor and with the Note of 'Does NOT illuminate the Powertrain Checklight'.... does make me think about the wiring for the Cam Posi. Sensor.

Trackerd11

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ V6
You could disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes. That will clear the codes but if you have the stock radio you will need the PIN when you reconnect the battery.
Are the vz computer the same as vt when it comes to error messages

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Do you mean error codes or the error messages displayed on the dash?