Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to restore chrome window trims?

Manual Calais

Manual VN Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
T5 VN Calais 3.8
Hi everybody.
I am on the search to figure out how to fullly restore a set of chrome window trips that in this case are off a vp. They are like a plastic/rubber with chrome strips on them. I gather that you would sand the chrome down and repair any dents and take them to a electroplater to get the chrome redone? But my main concernt is how do u restore the weird rubber type part? mine are sundamaged and have lost half their coating, it is all rough where the coating is missing and where it is still good it is nice and smooth.

Can anybody out there please help me?

thank-you

Manual Calais

Manual VN Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
T5 VN Calais 3.8
My car is currently in the shop getting resprayed so I am unable to take a picture but i will try find one similar on the internet.

Manual Calais

Manual VN Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
T5 VN Calais 3.8
35008d1172294272-wtb-vn-vp-calais-window-trim-e0f0_1_b.jpg

Manual Calais

Manual VN Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
T5 VN Calais 3.8
unfortunately I am unable to find any close ups but that is a pic of what they are(mainly the rear quarter window is what has the damaged rubber

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
ok, I see what you mean. The only real way to repair it is to have the rubber coating reapplied. You might be happy with the result plastidip will give you - it's essentially the same thing. If the rubber was still there, just faded, I'd suggest a trim restorer like CQuartz DLux, but if it's missing, having them re done is the only way. It will always look patchy with dressings

Manual Calais

Manual VN Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
T5 VN Calais 3.8
thank you for your help. 2 questions.
1. the surface is at like 2 different heights, (high where coating is still attached and low where coating is gone) so if you just paint it i assume you would see these 2 different heights. how do i achieve a nice finish?
2. who would be best to get to do this?

thanks again

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey mate, am i missing something or could you just replace the old trims with new ones or better ones from a wrecker?
What is the construction of these parts? It sounds like rubber over metal with a crome strip on top?
Maybe rare spares can get them.

Manual Calais

Manual VN Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
T5 VN Calais 3.8
that pretty much sums them up like in the pic. rare spares dont have them. and they cost 100-150 a set and these things are 20 odd years old so it is next to imposibble to find them in good condition, i reckon you would need to buy 5 sets to make 1 decent set but they still wouldnt be perfect. trying to figure out how to restore thenm so they look new. i just dont know any1 who can fix the rubber on them?

thanks for the feedback