Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to run amplifier from standard HU

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
It isn't too much hassle. Option 1 is to buy an amp with high level inputs (speaker wire), or option 2 is to buy a line-out convertor. It takes speaker inputs and outputs RCA. Apparently option 2 is the better way to go. Oh and you'll need to replace all the speakers, stock ones are awful off the h/u, can't see them handling being amped. Note also there isn't a separate sub control or wiring on the h/u, so you'll have to use speaker output to the amp and control the crossover etc on the amp (or loc) for the sub, so make sure to get one that can do that. There should be a few threads about this, so use the search tool up top and you may find a better explanation and pics to help. btw - if you haven't already, unplug the centre speaker. It's a stupid thing to have in standard system and makes the sound worse (I think it is used for phone in the premium system, having it's own channel - but in the standard spec it just runs off both left and right outputs).

FlamableImp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute MY10
re

It isn't too much hassle. Option 1 is to buy an amp with high level inputs (speaker wire), or option 2 is to buy a line-out convertor. It takes speaker inputs and outputs RCA. Apparently option 2 is the better way to go. Oh and you'll need to replace all the speakers, stock ones are awful off the h/u, can't see them handling being amped. Note also there isn't a separate sub control or wiring on the h/u, so you'll have to use speaker output to the amp and control the crossover etc on the amp (or loc) for the sub, so make sure to get one that can do that. There should be a few threads about this, so use the search tool up top and you may find a better explanation and pics to help. btw - if you haven't already, unplug the centre speaker. It's a stupid thing to have in standard system and makes the sound worse (I think it is used for phone in the premium system, having it's own channel - but in the standard spec it just runs off both left and right outputs).
ive heard the line outs and are no good on the ve's due to the high power output through the cars wiring system, i would rather someone who knows what theyre doing to solder rca's to the H/U

Matt_27

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
Greg from asr a forum sponsor on here can do the rca mod to ur stock hu. Get in contact with him.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
I really hadn't heard that about VEs not liking LOCs. Seems odd since the h/u isn't very powerful at all. Stock speakers are 20w from memory. People have done it (not sure if it was the sticky thread about speakers in VE section or a thread in the audio section), but not me. I replaced everything including h/u. Be nice if someone that's done it could reassure you. Though we're usually talking $hundreds for the LOC, not a cheap $10 ebay job. LC6i seems to ring a bell that I was recommended by Northfield Car Audio (that place in Marooka, think they're Northfield) when I saw them about amping the stock h/u. However if you don't like that, as Matt said, I've only seen good things written about ASR's work on here. I'd second sending him a message, but I think they're in Syd so you'd have to send off your h/u I'm guessing. But you would get an experts advice and opinions at the least.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
many people have used LOC's with no problems (some have had though) get the good ones, stinger comes to mind, and all's good, dont have power running with rca leads though this will cause problems

FlamableImp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute MY10
can somebody tell me how to remove th H/U and what wires in a ss ute without the sat nav the LOC attaches to? i have had a fair bit of audio electronics practise as my last car was a dissaster zone for wiring from the n*b who wired my last system.:beer chug:

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Shouldn't have to remove the H/U mate. Just pull the plastic trim off in the drivers side footwell that runs next to your left leg. Then the main harness in plugged in there so just tap your LOC there. I'm not sure if it has the speaker colours but they will be floating around the interweb somewhere, just google speaker wiring colours.

Also be sure not to run any RCAs or mount any amps on the passenger side of the centre console. Since the battery is behind the passenger seat there is a massive power cable that runs up the passenger sill and that is what causes the most alternator whine issues.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
these are your colours for speakers, hope this helps
Dark Green - / Light Green + = Front Right Speaker
Grey - / Brown + = Front Left Speaker
Light Blue - / Dark Blue + = Rear Right Speaker
Yellow/Red - / Brown + = Rear Right Speaker