Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to run speaker wire through front doors?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Took me about 30 minutes and a LOT of swear words before I gave up and undid the rubber. Then just attached wire to pencil and pushed through the straight rubber. Then more swear words for not doing that earlier.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
haha. i tried a coat hanger with a similar sorta method. didnt work

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Sorry guys, but whats the advantage of running your own speaker cables into the doors?
You'll only be using the stock wiring for <50cm of length, im not sure whether the effort will see much gain.
Or is it because your mounting the crossovers in the kicks and the tweeters in the doors?

Not to put a negative spin on the thread, just curious is all ;)

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry guys, but whats the advantage of running your own speaker cables into the doors?
You'll only be using the stock wiring for <50cm of length, im not sure whether the effort will see much gain.
Or is it because your mounting the crossovers in the kicks and the tweeters in the doors?

Hey mate, mines cus i'm running the wire into an amp in the boot + one of the stock speaker wire has been cut off over the last 13 years.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

I didn't do it for SQ reasons, it was a question of "neatness".

In my setup the aftermarket wiring goes to the boot (or in the case of the fronts, via the crossover, then the boot) where the amp is, rather than me splicing into the factory wiring and disconnecting the speakers from the H/U.

My original factory speaker plugs are still in there, if I ever want to return the car to stock, all I need to do is plug them back in - they will run off the H/U without any other changes.

For my install I haven't cut or spliced a single wire from the factory loom, I have a Phreddy aux-out mod to the boot, then my own speaker wires from there.

I also find that the factory wiring used in these cars is quite poor, not in terms of audio quality, but the fact that it corrodes even when insulated. I was surprised that one wire I snipped elsewhere in the car was already corroded, and quite difficult to solder - this is a car only 4 years old at the time! In my previous car (1999 VT) one of the rear door speakers cut out intermittently due to a dodgy factory wire. The wires in that car were also quite corroded and difficult to work with.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i ran mine using a 1mm gas welding rod, starting inside the door pusing and massaging it thru to the cabin, the first one took 10mins then the other side took 5 :) took my glove box out for room to move too.

i wanted new wiring in the doors as i was running new wiring through out the car, the stock one just sits there until the day i upgrade. wiring was free so i though why not :)

EDIT: same as danja

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

Because I just paid hundreds of dollars for new speakers and by damn I'm going to use every damn part of it to make me feel like I got my money worth. That and I think I have a obsessive compulsive gene running amuk inside me. :p

I also wanted to leave the factory wiring alone in case I want to sell the car and keep my speakers.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did this today, was a Fu**en pain but thats alright, cant believe the difference putting 60wrms through the speakers, i tried putting 130wrms into them each but i found it un needed haha. but i'll see how i go in the future.
Cheers for the help with this guys.

donnie86

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
Did this today but used a hollowed out pen and fed the wire inside it. Worked well, took less than 5 minutes.