Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to spot fake odometer?

weezlebub

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I bought a VY it's supposedly done 140k and has service history to 75k up to 2009. What are things I could look for on these cars to tell if km are real?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
General wear and tear on the inside, on the control items, indicator arm, washer arm, radio, drivers seat wear & tear,
visual items underneath, oil leak, spare tyre and rim, side trim scuff marks,
General visual things under the bonnet,
Don't get me wrong, It could be Rigy Dig, there a cars out there that have bene hardly driven by elder people that only do approx. 50k's a week just for shopping or to church on Sundays.
Based on an average K/M P/A, an average family car can travel from 15,000 > 25,000 k's.

If your still unsure, take it to a Dealer, and ask a few questions, as they have all service records on file,
that's if it been serviced at a GM dealer,
And if it has a had a "Hair Cut" [old school term - had odometer fixed] you have a case with the seller.
Otherwise it may of even had a cluster replacement, if it has, you maybe able to see screw driver marks on the dash screws.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
If there are any major repairs there in service history it might be a lemon spent most of its life in an out of repair shop and used as a second unreliable car then eventualy sitting unlicenced until someone figured out what was wrong with it

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
You might also find it has been owned by someone like me. in the nearly 8 years since i bought the car i've done about 37k.

weezlebub

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
thank for replies i like idea of reading vin on cluster to see if it matches. disappoined to find it's not odbd II on these cars as I have that cable :( if i get an aldl cable will i be able to read vin with tunerpro rt software?

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
messge the se
thank for replies i like idea of reading vin on cluster to see if it matches. disappoined to find it's not odbd II on these cars as I have that cable :( if i get an aldl cable will i be able to read vin with tunerpro rt software?
search aldl cable on ebay and message the seller he responds pretty quickly and knows a little bit about the software i cant see anyway of reading vins on my tunepro software but i might be missing something

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
In NSW, the odometer reading has to be recorded by the inspection station before the rego can be renewed. This is recorded by the RMS as an anti-fraud measure, to prevent swapping or winding back odometers.

If the same process applies in Victoria, you might be able to check the reading at the last registration date.

Wheels2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive S2 V6 Ecotec
I had a look at a 2003 Commodore V6 with only 99,000kms on the clock, the first thing I noticed the steering wheel was nearly worn through on the top - dead give away, apart from other things, wonky front end and under torque huge bang noises and the rear when auto changed gears.

Also claimed that he always did the servicing himself, there were no receipts for work done, yeah right.

Last edited: