Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to start my car without the key?

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
I know it's frowned upon, but I need to somehow start my car without the key, as it appears to have snapped off in the ignition :embarrass: and my spare is a few hundred kilometres away

I remember reading on here a while ago about which wires to join up etc... If it's not too much to ask, can someone PM me that rather than chuck it up on the forum? Thanks, otherwise I'll i'll have to walk to the locksmiths etc...

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Starting your car is not the issue, driving it is! Once you take off, how are you going to turn the wheel when the steering locks?

Grab a multimeter and find the active wire: Connect it to some of the other colours and see what turns on. Im not going to tell you exactly how to do it but its not hard once you get started.

You should be able to drop the barrel switch off the back of the barrel and test the connection sequence using a multimeter also - that may give you a hint to the order you need to follow.

How did you snap a commodore key off in a barrel though? And in such a manner you cant remove or turn it with multigrips?

I know it's frowned upon, but I need to somehow start my car without the key, as it appears to have snapped off in the ignition :embarrass: and my spare is a few hundred kilometres away

I remember reading on here a while ago about which wires to join up etc... If it's not too much to ask, can someone PM me that rather than chuck it up on the forum? Thanks, otherwise I'll i'll have to walk to the locksmiths etc...

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Put it in N.
And stick a screwdriver between the terminals on the starter motor. Don't let it scare you when it goes zap, you'll be right. It'll start once the ignition is on.

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
The key was already a bit screwed, so it didn't take much to break it off lol... theres a piece about 15mm long inside it because i thought "oh yeah, I'll just push the broken bit in all the way and try the key as well" - which screwed me up big time because i could have grabbed it with pliers before that :(

the steering lock isn't on which is a bonus, so i'll have a fiddle with the wiring and go from there, thanks azkwazere

Blackened342

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
There is a way it can be done, if you've got the time to do it. Take the Ignition Switch off the back of the Ignition Barrel, which is two tiny screws.. Don't lose them, you'll need them again later to put it back together lol.. once that switch is off, you can start the car with a screw driver. If the steering wheel is locked, you'll have to take the whole barrel apart, which is slightly more tricky.. since there isn't much room to get your allen key in, you can either cut one down to size..or tear a chuck out of your dash (which i did on my VN that i was wrecking, not advised in your case though lol) then simply take the steering lock out.. But remember how it all came apart, so you can put it back together when you get a new ignition barrel and key.

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
all cool and sorted, thanks for the help.. I ended up doing it the was azzfox said in a PM.
I got my spare keys posted down from Port Augusta, and everything's cool again lol