Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO Steering Controls VX/VY

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
One wire is 12V in and the other wire is your signal out. Your signal out is simply a lower voltage then 12V due to the resistors. The buttons simply work by changing the voltage to the headunit. E.g. Headunit recieves 3V and it raises the volume. at 4.5V it lowers the volume. I do NOT recall the actual voltages applied so do not take those two given as gospel. I'm probably WAY off base with that one.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Nah, dont think so evil inside.

There are two coming from the steering wheel controls, black and yellow. Black is the ground. Yellow must be the signal.

There is definatly more to it than resistors. I measured the output connector while pressing the buttons, resistance was infinity no matter what button was pressed. Yes it is going to be a voltage, but no, not as simple as resistors.

Tenuki, if you could find that out, that would be a great help. Might have to pull the air bag off though. My buttons arent hooked up, otherwise I would do it.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I have found some code to decode RC5 codes (that is the code most used by IR remotes). I'll try and make something for the IR part this weekend.

Yes any info on the wheel controls will be great.

Mike

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Any word on the steering controls michaelw? If you do throw it in can you let me know?

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
We are now buying a new house so my lovely new work-bench will be in action in a few weeks.

Mike

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
any progress mate? still hanging out to see how it all goes?

We now have a new house (and will be in debt for a while).

I have got the VZ controls up and can now control my TV from the VZ buttons. I need to get a VT set and source a few car cd remotes to test.

Mike

antis0cial

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
I have seen a few of these things around but whats the difference between CAT08, CAT09 and CAT10? They all seem to claim to work on a VX Commodore steering controls.

I have a JVC KD-AVX11 head unit, Does it matter on the unit or remote or will it work in basically a VX with any brand unit which is specified on the packaging of the CAT?

Seems you guys are getting them for 130-150. Over here in Perth Ive been quotted $250, $270 and final quote was $300 and thats just for the unit Install averages from $40-$70. I mean the unit is even $250 on ebay. Am i getting over charged?

Thanks in advance

r0nniem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
The difference between the CAT models are that mainly we've added new headunit brands or vehicles:

CAT08
Supports Alpine, Clarion, JVC, Kenwood, Panasonic, Pioneer & Sony headunits and Holden VR, VS, VT, VX, VY, Barina XC and Ford AU1 & AU2 vehicles.
Note: Holden VR & VS not support with Kenwood or JVC headunits.

CAT09
Supports the above plus Eclipse headunits and Holden Astra & Vectra vehicles.
Note: Holden VR & VS not support with Kenwood or JVC headunits.

CAT10
Now comes with standard with both direct 3.5mm plug and infrared led. No need for seperate purchase.
Supports the Alpine Infrared & Direct, Blaupunkt Infrared, Clarion Direct & Infrared, Eclipse Infrared & Direct (with extra PCB Supplied), JVC DVD Infrared, JVC Infrared, Kenwood Infrared & Direct, Panasonic DVD Infrared, Panasonic Infrared, Pioneer Infrared and Sony Infrared headunits.
Holden VR, VS, VT, VX, VY, VZ, Barina XC, Astra TS, Vectra, Ford AU1, AU2, AU3, BA, Territory, Mazda 3 & 6 and Mitsubishi 380.
Note: Holden VR & VS not support with Kenwood or JVC.

Hope that helps.
RonnieM
THE CAT

Last edited:

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Current status.

I have decoded the vs/vr controls (WHAT A MESS!), things get much easier in the VX and VZ controls. I have managed to get screwed over in ebay as I tried to buy a set of vx controls (the bloke managed to send me the wrong ones then 'lost' the other set in the mail).

I have asked in the WTB section if someone has a spare set of vx controls they don't mind lending for a couple of weeks.

The vt/vx , vy/vz and for anyone who cares the ford ba controls all have just resistors in them. If you tried to decode the signal with a CRO you will get a funny signal as there is a trick to read analog resistors with a digital chip.

I might start a new thread as this is getting kinda off topic.

Mike