Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to tell if a diff is LSD or not by the sticker/label?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Is this diff a LSD or or open
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382366822.236233.jpg
Thanks for any help Pat

PJDM1980

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
So the n means no, just wasn't sure if it was a code for something else. Cheers mate

PJDM1980

thatsADM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 S1 MY10
New to the mechanic world, where is this label located?

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Just do a :driving:

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
For future refrence, the most reliable way to tell is spin a wheel (or axle if the diff is out of the car) if the other wheel/axle rotates in the same direction it's an lsd. Or spool. Just incase someone slaps an lsd tag on to try and rip you. Not that you think that would happen. To be sure to be sure though!

thatsADM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 S1 MY10
For future refrence, the most reliable way to tell is spin a wheel (or axle if the diff is out of the car) if the other wheel/axle rotates in the same direction it's an lsd. Or spool. Just incase someone slaps an lsd tag on to try and rip you. Not that you think that would happen. To be sure to be sure though!

Both wheels may spin even if you do not have an LSD, happened to my sv6, in the beginning one wheel would spin during ..activities.... and now (due to the diff being pretty thrashed) they both do.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Both wheels may spin even if you do not have an LSD, happened to my sv6, in the beginning one wheel would spin during ..activities.... and now (due to the diff being pretty thrashed) they both do.

I was talking about when it jacked up in the air. So when you spin a wheels with your hand the other one will go in the same direction if it's lsd. An open diff the wheel will go in the other direction. Unless your open diff is seriously screwed they won't spin in the same dirrection.

Yeah open diffs can often spin 2 wheels during "fun activities". When it's really slippery and wet it might spin 2 wheels because it won't take much push to get the outside wheel turning. The more torque your car has the more likely you are to get them both going aswell. So get a really really powerful car with an open diff and it will spin 2 wheels often. Also the more crap you get in your open diff and the older the oil gets the more likely it will be to jam up the spider gears a bit and start spinning 2 wheels.