Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to tell if something is asbestos??

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
ok so im working on renovating an old granny flat to turn into a bach pad/ bedroom and im taking a dividing wall out. I'm not too sure how long its been there and im worried that it might be asbestos and as i had planned to use a skip bin to get rid of all the rubbish i need to know beforehand what it is. Does anyone have any advice?? I talked to a building inspector and he said something about wetting it and then scratching it as asbestos is harder than gyprock?? Im not sure so i figured someone on here might know.

Also the bin company said theyll take insulating material but not fibreglass so how would i find out if the insulation is fibreglass or not??

Thanks in advance for the help

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Fibreglass will itch the **** outta you after removing it :)

As for the Asbestos if it is hard and brittle then it will most likely be Asbestos.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
If your working on an old granny flat you can pretty much be sure there is asbestos there. It can be anywhere though from the obvious like wall sheeting to the not so obvious like insulating materials and floor coverings. Like mentioned the only way to be sure is to get a sample tested of whatever you are disturbing.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
My understanding is you must have it tested by a licenced person. Why risk your health?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS