Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to test Vr T5 Speed Sensor / Speedo on instrument cluster after manual conversion

BE39ER

More Torque Less Traction
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Commodore Berlina just converted to manual
Hey guys, I recently converted my Vr auto to a T5 manual and cant get my speedo working. I purchased a Manual ECU with a performance chip and all the wiring and very detailed info and pics to get the speedo / reverse lights working. Ive hooked it all up and still no speedo. The colours of the wires coming off my speed sensor on the gearbox have faded very badly and I cant really tell what colours they were origionaly. I am not sure if there could be a problem with the speedo on the cluster (prolly not as it worked as an auto) or a problem with the speed sensor on the T5. Which brings me to my first question. Would anyone out there possibly have a pic of the sensor that clearly shows the colours of the wires coming out of the head of the sensor? And also, is there a way to individually test the speed sensor and the speedo on the cluster? I have a multimeter but not sure how to approach it. I was thinkin of rigging up the sensor to a battery, and wrapping a small peice of cloth around the spline and gently attatching it to a cordless drill and giving it a whirl. But as I said I am not sure ifI have the colous on the sensor mixed up and dont want to short anything out. I have a bald spot from scratching my head so much :rofl2: and I have rego at the end of January. Someone please throw me a bone :bomb: Cheers guys

mwemy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
im pretty sure u can setup an OHM metre on the speedo terminals and spin it up with ur hands to see if the speedo drive is working ok, as for wiring, look for a wiring diagram and go from there :>

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
is there a way to individually test the speed sensor and the speedo on the cluster

Yes:

White/blue.......... Earth
Pink/blue.............12 volt accessories
Purple/white......to speedo side of ECU

With the sensor disconnected from the car harness at the plug, battery voltage connected to the P/B wire and the W/B connected to earth on the sensor pigtail, a test light between battery voltage and the P/W wire should switch between on and off (earthed and not earthed) as the sensor is rotated - by hand will do.