Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to upgrade and what to upgrade on my vl?

SickVL-14

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 model vl
i have just bought my 87 model vl commdore and am wishing to upgrade the performance of it in anyway i can, was wondering how i could set up or where i could by a could air intake for it? whats the go with putting bigger cc fuel injectors in it? how to convert from drum brakes at the back to rotor disk brakes? atm its auto and non turbo but am looking to convert to manual asap ay help woukd be highly appreciated thanks.

hears a pic of my vl when i first bought it
photo.php

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
convert it to 5speed
service it
exhaust
forget injectors etc
save save save

Ohze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina (304 EFI 5spd Manual)
Yeap, forget injectors.. Really unnecessary as a stand alone upgrade. Probably the cheapest way to get discs on the back is to find a complete disc brake diff and swap it over. To find a good cold intake look on google and the search function on the forum itself is very helpful as well. One of these threads pops up every now and again, i'm sure someone has already answered these questions.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vl-holden-commodore-1986-1988/6813-vl-under-bonnet-mods-where-2-start.html

^^ Might help you.

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
All else being serviceable ie compression is good and even, plugs leads dizzy good then Extractors, exhaust, and a tune, i have found alot of VL's have been mucked around with, setting the timing back to factory spec and setting ecu mixture correctly makes a big difference.
Another thing is to get the fuel system pressure right, it is common for the reg or pump to fail over time, replacing them makes improvements too.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo

SickVL-14

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 model vl
cheers everyone so OHZE pretty much if i got hold of a back end of a vn commy i would be able to convert the whole lot? ill have a proper read into it thanks heeps

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Just the Callipers, Backing Plates, Flex Hoses, Rotors, get new bearing Kit and have access to a press
Handbrake cable is not compatible man.