Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To - VT Brake Upgrade

White Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman 2009 (white Lion)
thank you every body i will change the rotors of my car to slotted one actually i am planing to since i bought my car

freddie142

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hey all

Just wondering, I have a vn and i am thinking about doing this conversion.

I got told that you should change the vn struts to vt vx struts if doing the brake change?

Also would it be better to change the vn brake booster to the vt vx one?

Cheers tyrone

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
umm im not too sure on that, might be an idea to post the question in the vn section as i dont know much about the earlier commys or maybe pm one of the other guys who have made comments in this thread, maybe they can help you. The booster would be a good idea to change over but not too sure how you would go about doing it.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
I got told that you should change the vn struts to vt vx struts if doing the brake change?

Im pretty sure this is because the VN rotors dont just come off as a single disk, they have bearings built into them rather than in the hub...which in a way makes the disk part of the hub in a VN

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
I'm having a few problems with installing my kit. Hopefully someone can help because i need the car for work tomorrow lol. Firstly, the adapter rings do not seem to slide on to the hub all the way, unless i was to apply alot of force but this could just break it. So should it sit flush in the hub? Also the factory bracket is welded, and the new one is a different shape, any ideas as to how i can just use the new bracket without taking the old one out?

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
will i need a vt master cylinder im heaps keep on doing this asap

I did this mod on my standard 202 vh recently. I used an VT SS Master cylinder and had the VT booster lined up ready to go. I eventually went with the plastic VS booster because the mounting bracket directly bolted on where the VH one used to be. I just used the VS booster brackets.

I don't know how to add links to posts in here so search for VH brake upgrade in the VB-Vk section. or search for posts authored by me. It has another How-to upgrade brakes in that post. Again, I don't know how to move it to the main "how-to" section.

Hope this helps.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
you cant compare stopping distances between yours and a VT brake set. slotted rotors are not going to make that much of a difference in stopping distance anyway, they are there to help vent the discs to keep them cooler so they dont warp

They make a huge difference...not for cooling but so the pad bites.....it is supposed to let the gas created during braking between the pad and rotor out so the two surfaces create as much friction as possible....the harder you hit them the harder they bite with slotted rotors...like how your brakes work better after it has rained and the disc surface has some light rust on it and first brake application and the pads really bite

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They make a huge difference...not for cooling but so the pad bites.....it is supposed to let the gas created during braking between the pad and rotor out so the two surfaces create as much friction as possible....the harder you hit them the harder they bite with slotted rotors...like how your brakes work better after it has rained and the disc surface has some light rust on it and first brake application and the pads really bite

slotted would also show greater stopping ability after multiple stops

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
great write up, im goin 2 do this in the next few months, ive been meanin 2get a few parts i need to so i can finally start it