Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To - VY Commodore Amp Install, with stock head unit.

luke641

ST33ZE: A Berlina Thing
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Berlina with Calais Bits
Hi guys.

I have a VY Berlina (see my ride for pics).. And i wanted to run a sub using stock head unit. I needed to get a line level converter, if i wanted to keep stock HU. Is a mod worth doing my self, as it saved me spending $100..

Now the main issue i had was location of mounting my amp. Its a Powervox 2900watt amp (ebay special, but has served me and mates well in the past), its 45cm x 25cm approx. So it is hard to find a suitable mounting spot, as i would of liked to mount on the back of rear seats, yet i needed to be able to fold the middle seat down and be able to put my skis threw it, so couldnt obstruct that area much

So i decided on putting/mounting the amp upside down on the under side of the parcel shelf, YES i do know this is supposedly bad, yet i haven't heard/read any reports of it being a issue. The amp has 2 heat dispersers on each sides, running the full length, about 1-2cm deep. It also has heat dispersers on the top, 6 long parallel lines, about 5mm wide and deep.

If a Full write up, 'How To', is wanted. Let me know and ill post it up in the best detail i can with pics.

Cheers

Luke

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Not picking again mate, but i really don't see any point in this thread??

luke641

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair enough. I just thought old post this one to see if a write up was wanted, as when I was looking for info to do mine, there was not alot.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
not alot? dude its been covered like 5 time that i know of...rca mod, search button mod

cinahh.simone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 5.7 ltr
hey where did you run the power cable through the firewall? having alot of trouble finding somewhere to run it through

luke641

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey where did you run the power cable through the firewall? having alot of trouble finding somewhere to run it through

Hey dude,

I ran it through the main grommet for the main wiring loom on the drivers side. Its just to the left of the brake booster. Dimond shape off memory.

Hope that helps. If not, send me a pm and ill send a pic

The_Forgotten

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Acclaim
gday mate, do you recon you could upload a photo? im trying to put it through but i cant find where you are talking about??

Cheers!

sostok

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
clutch grommet if an auto..