Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to wire up relay

GMBanisher

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN
Hi guys, as stated I have actually forgotten how to wire up a relay, here's what I have.

I'm in the midst of building a BNS ute, I have the BNS style side skirts with the amber lights down the side of them, I have a relay with 5 terminals on it, as follows

86 87a 85

what wires to I run to what, just gonna hook them direct to my parkers.

Cheers

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
is there not a picture on the side of the relay

GMBanisher

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN
No and it's just been sittin in my drawer for ages, that's why I posted in the auto electrical part, assumed someone would know it off the top of thier head.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
We do, there's plenty of posts on this forum! I know because i've answered it at least twice this year!

Google sent this straight to me: Automotive Wiring Tips

With pin 87, you have a 5 pin one, so pin 87 will be 'on' when there is current flowing and pin 87a will be 'on' when no current flowing.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
They do the same job if you just dont use pin 87a, but normally if you dont need it you opt for a 4 pin relay! Especially if your an auto elec!

GMBanisher

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN
I was gonna use it just coz I had it lying around from an alarm system I did a few years back, came with a spare for some reason..

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Maybe use it to begin with? And then when your happy with it, if your planning on keeping them a long time then maybe get a 4 pin relay? Unless you can think of a use for pin 87a. Otherwise it's a waste, and not too sure if it's illegal, i just know i steer away from them if i dont need them.

GMBanisher

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN
Sweet, fair enough, I found a relay diagram eventually, just get sick of staring at threads trying to find what I want, and in this case I serched for something other than relay diagram...... Don't ask :(