Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] HOW TO: Wire up spot lights (VX, VY, VZ and possibly other models)

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
First, I have done this on VX,VY and VZ. Should also work for VR/VS/VT. Colour codes may vary so check your manual or do a bit of testing before you wire it up the way I have done in the diagram.

I have been asked a few times as to why wiring up a set of spotties or driving lights can't be done the normal way on a Commodore. The main reason is that the newer style Commodores us what is called "positive switching". Simple terms mean that the switch / line have constant power so wiring up extra lights to work off the high beam in a conventional way will not work.

Follow the diagram below to install a set of spot lights or driving lights. Ensure you have a switch installed so as to remain compliant with state / territory regulations (separate switch for on/off accessory lights when high beam is activated)

*This can also be used for installing fog lights using the park light circuit, check the colour coded wires in your manual*

Hope this can help some of you who do long distance driving.

Spotlight Wiring.jpg

simon-t

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II
hey sixes!!!!
thanks heaps for the write up!!!! i know its a few mths old, but i thought id dig it up!!!
ive got the lights installed, so im gonna wire them up this weekend!!!!
i'll let ya know how i go and post pics when its done!!!!

rickandkylie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Thanks

Thanks for the information, I was going nowhere fast trying to work out how the light circuit works.

I have just wired up some spotties and these instructions worked like a charm :)

Pictures of my wiring into headlight harness and the lights working.

Now all I need to do if figure out how to get the wiring for the switch into the cabin...

22082010(002).jpg

22082010(003).jpg

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
Nice work there! Im looking at getting a set of Roolite's (Lightforce copy) with the HID upgrade. Put a set of them on a mates 4x4 and they work really well. Always helps to have good lights when travelling

a-drain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute
thanks heaps this was heaps good. spent the arvo trying to figure out how to wire some spotties up and it was driving me crazy, hopefully after this, i can fix it up tomorrow

lloyd gibson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
How do you get the switch wire into the cabin???????

Have the switch neatly installed.........cant find any suitable places to thread the wire to!

lloyd gibson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
"I have been asked a few times as to why wiring up a set of spotties or driving lights can't be done the normal way on a Commodore. The main reason is that the newer style Commodores us what is called "positive switching". Simple terms mean that the switch / line have constant power so wiring up extra lights to work off the high beam in a conventional way will not work."

Did mine the conventional way...turned off the lights spotties came on!!!!!!

Yeech Thanks for proper instructions.......

Showoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Equip Series II
I want to install driving lights on my VX does it matter where on my bumber i install them? they have brackets on them already(the thing that makes it tilt up and down and which screws onto the car)

Also does it void your insurance?